Pleco please help :(

1. s

sammyyy123 Valued Member Member

I have attached 3 pictures...
    My oldest Pleco is the top picture. Her chest is caved in despite being fed enough daily. Second picture was my male who recently died assumingly due to bloat and the bottom picture is of my Pleco I noticed literally 2 minutes ago - I know the tank needs a clean.... It's tank cleaning day tomorrow morning :/

I had 7 plecos at one point and I am now down at 2 and have no clue why!!!!! I have treated them for internal parasites and one of them still dies?! I'm absolutely at the end of my tether and devastated cause they keep dying and I am not buying any more until I can get this sorted! No other fish have died, just my bristlenoses :( any ideas would be brilliant because I just don't know what to do anymore! My lfs has no clue either! :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Beeker

Beeker Well Known Member Member

Hi Sammyyy. I'm sorry for your losses.
    I see you have a Ram, so your tank must be healthy, but can you please post more information about your tank for Fishlore members to get a better picture of what might be going on?
    How many gallons is the tank?
    How long has the tank been running?
    Do you have a liquid test kit or strips?
    What are the readings for Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates?
    What is the temperature?
    What do you use as a dechlorinator/water conditioner?
    What is the temperature?
    How long have you had the plecos?

Sorry for all of the questions, but it will help us to help you.

3. OP
    OP
    s

I don't know gallons unfortunately but it's 160 litres. Tanks been running about 2 years without any problems, but most fish were transferred over with the water from my old tank and that was running for another 2 years. I have both and both are coming back absolutely spot on. All readings are coming back as 0, same as at my lfs. Temperature is at 27 degrees in the daytime and 25 at night. I use aquasafe as water conditioner and it is still in date. One of the plecos I rescued 4 years ago, another is about 2 years old, and the others varied between a year and a few months. When the last few came in, it's cause their old tank has burst and the owner wasn't going to replace it so I took them on as the water test was fine. My lemon boys then died but I assumed it was fighting with the new boy. Then another female died from bloat so I assumed over feeding, and then the last boy from bloat which is when I noticed that this couldn't be purely a coincidence so I treated them with interpet anti internal parasite :/ my skinny female started putting on a bit of weight but still caved in chest... I hope this is enough info!!!! Thank you so much in advance for your help! <3

4. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

What are you feeding them?

5. OP
    OP
    s

A mixture of algae wafers and cucumber. They have wood in there too

6. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Add a good quality sinking pellet to the wafers. Cucumber isn't very good, you need to add more veggies to their diet.

7. OP
    OP
    s

They also have red pepper, mushrooms :) it's just mainly cucumber until my next shop which is Friday! I tried the pellets and they didn't like them so they have 2 different types of wafers :) get wafers twice a week, and veg twice a week. Then they have 3 days a week without food so I don't over feed them... If they come out and go where their food normally is, I assume they're hungry so I give them food on those days even if that's a no-food day.

8. Beeker

Beeker Well Known Member Member

Can you tell us how old the ones that died were?
    Does the package the wafers are in say anything like "promotes clear water"?
    I lost fish due to intestinal blockages because the company adjusted the recipe so the food didn't dissolve as easily. That is the way they promote clear water. Once I figured that out, I started reading the labels very carefully.

9. OP
    OP
    s

No it doesn't say anything at all about promoting clear water :/ and the ages ranged between 2 years and a few months... A few were 'rescues' from other people such as friends and family who couldn't look after them or frankly didn't know what they were doing so I don't know exact age... Sorry for the delayed reply!

10. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

BN plecos should have food available 24/7 in the tank. When a pleco eats what goes in comes out as poop 45 minutes later. They have a very direct digestive tract made to get nutrients out quick from a low nutrient diet. they are meant to graze and on and off . On page 3 of the thread Plecos!! Share Yours I wrote up a post on feeding BN plecos . It gives you an idea of how and what to feed them and list a variety of veggies and fruits how to prep them . Please try to read it and feel free to ask any questions. I think that feeding may be the problem . Hopefully you can keep the two and get them healthy again. Keep us updated. ..;)Alison