Pleco Plans (need advice!)

lullabyroars

So this might seem sudden cuz I just posted about setting up a 5 Gallon Betta tank but this is me planning in advance.

Im possibly able to get my hands on a 26 Gallon tank for soooo cheap and im pretty sure it's glass and everything (someone has offered it to my aunt who knows I'm into fishkeeping but she's passed on their contact info...calling people makes me so anxious but I'd do it for a tank so I'm gonna do that tomorrow for dimentions etc) and it'll be my biggest tank yet. I'll need to find space for it but given how cheap it is and how expensive bigger tanks can be im willing to just hoard it for a month or so while I save up for the scape etc.

So more to the point, Im absolutely DYING to get a pleco of some kind, catfish are my favourite species (next to bettas of course) and I figured BNPs were my easiest option size wise and space wise but here are my main questions;

1. Are there any other species of pleco I could get in a 26g? Just so I know if I have options, I have researched a little but I like knowing from people who have kept them etc

2. Could I fit 2 female BNPs in that 26? Because I know males are territorial etc so you'd need a bigger tank than minimum (which I seem to see is 20g) but im just curious!

3. If I got 1 BNP (or any other plec that may fit as per Q1) could I keep a school of cories with it? I know some people say they get along but in that size of a tank? I wouldnt have thought so but I wanted to check cause im also completely in love with cories! If I wasnt so set on having a plec I might have done a species only cory tank

Like I said, none of this is super urgent because it will take me time to get this up and running if I do decide to buy it, and even if I dont I'm still set on the idea of a smaller plec species because even though id kill to have a tank big enough for a common plec, I need to start writing hit singles before I can afford that lol

Thanks! :3

kattiq

1. Bristlenose is probably your best bet! There might be others but I don't have any experience with them.
2. No, you would need a much bigger footprint to have more than 1 pleco even if they are females.
3. Yes, you could keep a school of cories probably. Just need to make sure to have enough filtration. I would probably recommend pygmy cories though for this size tank. Typically 30g+ for plecos but you can swing a 26 if you keep it heavily planted.

Betta'sAnonymous

Not sure i would do 2 of them, thats a lot of fish poop doubled in a not super big tank. But that's jist me.

lullabyroars

kattiq said:
1. Bristlenose is probably your best bet! There might be others but I don't have any experience with them.
2. No, you would need a much bigger footprint to have more than 1 pleco even if they are females.
3. Yes, you could keep a school of cories probably. Just need to make sure to have enough filtration. I would probably recommend pygmy cories though for this size tank. Typically 30g+ for plecos but you can swing a 26 if you keep it heavily planted.
My current tanks are pretty heavily planted I'd say so I'd 100% do the same. I know they like hidey spaces and driftwood etc too :3 Thanks for the cory suggestion tho!

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Not sure i would do 2 of them, thats a lot of fish poop doubled in a not super big tank. But that's jist me.
Yeah, I did think it would be a bit of a long shot but as I said I really was just curious. I sort of prefer the males anyway, those bristles are soooo cute!

Betta'sAnonymous

Certainly nothing wrong with gathering info and planning beforehand. The 6 P's-Proper Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance.

lullabyroars

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Certainly nothing wrong with gathering info and planning beforehand. The 6 P's-Proper Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance.
Awesome saying! I'm gonna remember that one

Fisch

Betta'sAnonymous said:
That is true, plecos are poop machines
That would be the main argument. And they are very special to watch, having just one would be perfect.

goldface

Besides the Bristlenose, a Clown or a Rubberlip pleco can work. The Clown is the smallest out of the 3. There are other less common species that would work as well, but you likely have to go to a decent fish store or order online.

lullabyroars

Fisch said:
That is true, plecos are poop machines
That would be the main argument. And they are very special to watch, having just one would be perfect.
Awesome, thank you!

Anyone also know what kind of filter would be best? I would imagine I would need something that could cope with the plec lol

I've only ever used basic filters. My 15 gallon has a sump (I think im right in calling it that?) built in at the back so like the back left top and bottom corners of the aquarium have grates and the water just flows into there then gets pulled through a big ol' sponge by a pump on the other side that then sucks the clean water up and pushes it out a 2 headed outlet in the top right corner. There was probably an easier way to explain that but it's 6am
My 5 gallon has a regular little box shaped one, takes water in at the bottom and pulls it through the media before trickling out top.

So honestly any help is appreciated! Filters are not my strong point unfortunately. My brain doesnt compute XD
goldface said:
Besides the Bristlenose, a Clown or a Rubberlip pleco can work. The Clown is the smallest out of the 3. There are other less common species that would work as well, but you likely have to go to a decent fish store or order online.
Thank you! I did actually look at clowns but really I think im too into the bristles...theyre like whiskers

Sanderguy777

lullabyroars said:
Awesome, thank you!

Anyone also know what kind of filter would be best? I would imagine I would need something that could cope with the plec lol

I've only ever used basic filters. My 15 gallon has a sump (I think im right in calling it that?) built in at the back so like the back left top and bottom corners of the aquarium have grates and the water just flows into there then gets pulled through a big ol' sponge by a pump on the other side that then sucks the clean water up and pushes it out a 2 headed outlet in the top right corner. There was probably an easier way to explain that but it's 6am
My 5 gallon has a regular little box shaped one, takes water in at the bottom and pulls it through the media before trickling out top.

So honestly any help is appreciated! Filters are not my strong point unfortunately. My brain doesnt compute XD

Thank you! I did actually look at clowns but really I think im too into the bristles...theyre like whiskers
I would second clowns (smallest ones I've kept personally). BN: both semesters have bristles as far as I know, but the female ones are slightly shorter...

As for filters, I really like the Aquaclear 20 I use on my 10g guppy grow out tank. Keeps up with the mess as well as can be expected, and can be adjusted depending on the flow I want. I'd recommend getting a ac30 or 40 (if they make a 40) just because the gallon ratings on filters are based on NO MEDIA and at best performance, so I reality, it is like half or a third the gph that it says it is.

If you get cories, you probably will use a sand substrate, so an under gravel filter won't work, but, if you dont like HOB filters for some reason, Odyssea make powerheads that come with sponges that work really well. They can be set up as an internal filter, and are GREAT for cleaning up mulm clouds after WCs!

Zach72202

You could do common or albino bristlenose, but honestly I had a small one in a 20H for a few days and holey moley. It was a mess.

There are species of dwarf plecos that do exist, and I know there are some that are small with bristles and some that are small without bristles.

I have heard reference to them in a Youtube video once. I know there is one that looks similar to a common bristlenose, but only grows to be about 3.5" max, and it is a bristlenose as well. I cannot remember the name of them, but they will be pricier.

At a glance, I found the L471, the mini snowball pleco, that maxes out at 4".
Would be a really neat fish, and maybe a small group (if you can find them), you could have yourself a little niche breeding project and they could pay for themselves.

lullabyroars

Sanderguy777 said:
I would second clowns (smallest ones I've kept personally). BN: both semesters have bristles as far as I know, but the female ones are slightly shorter...

As for filters, I really like the Aquaclear 20 I use on my 10g guppy grow out tank. Keeps up with the mess as well as can be expected, and can be adjusted depending on the flow I want. I'd recommend getting a ac30 or 40 (if they make a 40) just because the gallon ratings on filters are based on NO MEDIA and at best performance, so I reality, it is like half or a third the gph that it says it is.

If you get cories, you probably will use a sand substrate, so an under gravel filter won't work, but, if you dont like HOB filters for some reason, Odyssea make powerheads that come with sponges that work really well. They can be set up as an internal filter, and are GREAT for cleaning up mulm clouds after WCs!
Thanks for the info! Unfortunately I dont think I can get Aquaclear filters over here in the UK I did look for a long time as I wanted one originally but as I said just couldn't find one over here. But I will have a look into Odyssea!

Zach72202 said:
You could do common or albino bristlenose, but honestly I had a small one in a 20H for a few days and holey moley. It was a mess.

There are species of dwarf plecos that do exist, and I know there are some that are small with bristles and some that are small without bristles.

I have heard reference to them in a Youtube video once. I know there is one that looks similar to a common bristlenose, but only grows to be about 3.5" max, and it is a bristlenose as well. I cannot remember the name of them, but they will be pricier.

At a glance, I found the L471, the mini snowball pleco, that maxes out at 4".
Would be a really neat fish, and maybe a small group (if you can find them), you could have yourself a little niche breeding project and they could pay for themselves.
I'll see if I can find anything about the smaller plecs you spoke about but I did a quick search of the L471 and they look absolutely gorgeous! You could have me on to something there!

Sanderguy777

lullabyroars said:
Thanks for the info! Unfortunately I dont think I can get Aquaclear filters over here in the UK I did look for a long time as I wanted one originally but as I said just couldn't find one over here. But I will have a look into Odyssea!

I'll see if I can find anything about the smaller plecs you spoke about but I did a quick search of the L471 and they look absolutely gorgeous! You could have me on to something there!
Any powerhead will probably work fine, you would just need a normal sponge filter to stick the intake into. The Odyssea ones used to have a much stronger plastic case the sponge fit into, but now they feel really cheap. If you can find them, they are convenient, but any of them can be converted. Maybe search on amazon in the US, just to see what they look like...

AcornTheBetta

lullabyroars said:
So this might seem sudden cuz I just posted about setting up a 5 Gallon Betta tank but this is me planning in advance.

Im possibly able to get my hands on a 26 Gallon tank for soooo cheap and im pretty sure it's glass and everything (someone has offered it to my aunt who knows I'm into fishkeeping but she's passed on their contact info...calling people makes me so anxious but I'd do it for a tank so I'm gonna do that tomorrow for dimentions etc) and it'll be my biggest tank yet. I'll need to find space for it but given how cheap it is and how expensive bigger tanks can be im willing to just hoard it for a month or so while I save up for the scape etc.

So more to the point, Im absolutely DYING to get a pleco of some kind, catfish are my favourite species (next to bettas of course) and I figured BNPs were my easiest option size wise and space wise but here are my main questions;

1. Are there any other species of pleco I could get in a 26g? Just so I know if I have options, I have researched a little but I like knowing from people who have kept them etc

2. Could I fit 2 female BNPs in that 26? Because I know males are territorial etc so you'd need a bigger tank than minimum (which I seem to see is 20g) but im just curious!

3. If I got 1 BNP (or any other plec that may fit as per Q1) could I keep a school of cories with it? I know some people say they get along but in that size of a tank? I wouldnt have thought so but I wanted to check cause im also completely in love with cories! If I wasnt so set on having a plec I might have done a species only cory tank

Like I said, none of this is super urgent because it will take me time to get this up and running if I do decide to buy it, and even if I dont I'm still set on the idea of a smaller plec species because even though id kill to have a tank big enough for a common plec, I need to start writing hit singles before I can afford that lol

Thanks! :3
1. BNs are my personal favorite, but Clown and rubber lip plecos would also work for a tank this size. If your looking for a rare option then consider l46.

2. I would only do one pleco.

3. I would say you could keep a small school of corys. Maybe 8?

lullabyroars

Sanderguy777 said:
Any powerhead will probably work fine, you would just need a normal sponge filter to stick the intake into. The Odyssea ones used to have a much stronger plastic case the sponge fit into, but now they feel really cheap. If you can find them, they are convenient, but any of them can be converted. Maybe search on amazon in the US, just to see what they look like...
Thank you! I'll look into that for sure :3

AcornTheBetta said:
1. BNs are my personal favorite, but Clown and rubber lip plecos would also work for a tank this size. If your looking for a rare option then consider l46.

2. I would only do one pleco.

3. I would say you could keep a small school of corys. Maybe 8?
I've actually never looked into rubbler lip plecos so I just did there real quick and I didnt realise they were so cute! (to be fair im saying this about every pleco i see lol) They really do look like smaller versions of common plecos which is actually a really cool substitute! So now im torn between them and a BN :3

Thanks for the info on cories too! I'd assume that since the rubber lip gets slightly bigger than BNPs it may not be such a good idea to have as many cories, if at all even? I dont think it'd bother me hugely since id be getting the plec first and maybe i'd just add mid/top schooling fish to the tank?

EDIT; sorry, ive just realised i confused the size of the rubber lip with just the rubber pleco...why are they so similar XD my bad!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom