Pleco passed away :(

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by plecziah, Aug 2, 2015.

1. plecziahValued MemberMember

HELP guys so i had 2x BN pleco's had them around 6 months they seemed happy and healthy up untill about a week ago, i noticed they both had the exact same patch on there back. i was told by people possible heater burn or mood swings as ive head they change colour due to stress and mood. This afternoon i found one dead :( upside down in the plants, they havnt been eatting or swimming around like they should. my parameters are DSC_5431 - Copy.JPGDSC_5432.JPGAmmonia is about 0.25 Nitrate is about 5.0 nitrite 0 and PH 7.2 Do you think these parameters could have killed them? i dont want my other guy to die HELPPPPP :(

2. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

What tank size?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. plecziahValued MemberMember

43gal

4. happyfins14Valued MemberMember

Your parameters seem fine.... Hmm..... You said the patch could've been caused by stress? What other fish do you have in there, if any? If you notice any tankmates picking at them I would remove the remaining pleco if you can, or take out the mean fish. I would also do a water change just in case. Sorry about your fish :(

5. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

2 BN plecos for a 43 gallon seems a bit too much in terms of bioload...

6. happyfins14Valued MemberMember

Well now there's only one :(

7. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yea but I'm wondering if the big bioload had something to do with one of them passing away

8. happyfins14Valued MemberMember

Yeah you may be right :) Another reason why plecziah might want to do a water change

9. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

So the parameters aren't fine, but they aren't terrible either. You should have an ammonia level of 0 in a properly cycled tank. A water change will help bring the ammonia level down.

10. plecziahValued MemberMember

They are still only small plec's i was planning to upgrade as they got bigger as i said they are around 6 months and got them as very small fry. One of my plec's always picked on the smaller one and he is still alive, from what i can see there were no obvious wounds or battle scars. I have 7 danios in this tank but they stay away from my plec's i am going to do a water change now :/

11. happyfins14Valued MemberMember

How big are they? And good luck :)

12. plecziahValued MemberMember

around 1.9 inches

13. happyfins14Valued MemberMember

I have limited experience with plecos, so anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but your tank should be fine IMO, but I would still do a water change :)

14. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Well a 2" pleco has much higher bioload relatively speaking than say a, 2" rasbora...

15. PlecomakerWell Known MemberMember

Nah ive got 5 plecs in my 55 with other fish and no issues.
    Im more concerned about the not eating. Thats weird. they eat like all day

16. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Hmm, I heard something about if plecos dont get enough protein, they can belly over? Didnt someone else have this problem recently?

17. PlecomakerWell Known MemberMember

I feed mine a wide variety of foods, which i assume is part of my success. If theyre not eating it could be a lack of vitamins or (hopefully not) parasites.
    algae wafers with garlic cold help both issues. Mine also eat yellow squash and cucmber.

im notsure about heater burns, plecs change colors in patches frequently.

do they have driftwood? Thats essential.

18. plecziahValued MemberMember

Yep they have a nice big piece of drift wood, also they hate algae wafers i dunno why... never have eaten them (i always try) they eat plenty of fresh veg, courgette, pea's cucumber. Its hard to get a good view of the other plec but ive noticed it has quite a rounded stomach surely that's not normal. Also just done a water change

19. happyfins14Valued MemberMember

Maybe you should research and see if some of the foods you give them bloat them?

20. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I've never heard of courgette before...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice