Pleco passed away :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

plecziah

Valued Member
Reaction score
HELP guys so i had 2x BN pleco's had them around 6 months they seemed happy and healthy up untill about a week ago, i noticed they both had the exact same patch on there back. i was told by people possible heater burn or mood swings as ive head they change colour due to stress and mood. This afternoon i found one dead upside down in the plants, they havnt been eatting or swimming around like they should. my parameters are DSC_5431 - Copy.JPGDSC_5432.JPG Ammonia is about 0.25 Nitrate is about 5.0 nitrite 0 and PH 7.2 Do you think these parameters could have killed them? i dont want my other guy to die HELPPPPP

happyfins14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Atlantis. Under the ocean, where all fish lovers w
Experience
4 years
Your parameters seem fine.... Hmm..... You said the patch could've been caused by stress? What other fish do you have in there, if any? If you notice any tankmates picking at them I would remove the remaining pleco if you can, or take out the mean fish. I would also do a water change just in case. Sorry about your fish

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yea but I'm wondering if the big bioload had something to do with one of them passing away

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So the parameters aren't fine, but they aren't terrible either. You should have an ammonia level of 0 in a properly cycled tank. A water change will help bring the ammonia level down.

OP
P

plecziah

Valued Member
Reaction score
They are still only small plec's i was planning to upgrade as they got bigger as i said they are around 6 months and got them as very small fry. One of my plec's always picked on the smaller one and he is still alive, from what i can see there were no obvious wounds or battle scars. I have 7 danios in this tank but they stay away from my plec's i am going to do a water change now :/

happyfins14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
They are still only small plec's i was planning to upgrade as they got bigger as i said they are around 6 months and got them as very small fry. One of my plec's always picked on the smaller one and he is still alive, from what i can see there were no obvious wounds or battle scars. I have 7 danios in this tank but they stay away from my plec's i am going to do a water change now :/
How big are they? And good luck

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hmm, I heard something about if plecos dont get enough protein, they can belly over? Didnt someone else have this problem recently?

Plecomaker

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I feed mine a wide variety of foods, which i assume is part of my success. If theyre not eating it could be a lack of vitamins or (hopefully not) parasites.
algae wafers with garlic cold help both issues. Mine also eat yellow squash and cucmber.

im notsure about heater burns, plecs change colors in patches frequently.

do they have driftwood? Thats essential.

OP
P

plecziah

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yep they have a nice big piece of drift wood, also they hate algae wafers i dunno why... never have eaten them (i always try) they eat plenty of fresh veg, courgette, pea's cucumber. Its hard to get a good view of the other plec but ive noticed it has quite a rounded stomach surely that's not normal. Also just done a water change

happyfins14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yep they have a nice big piece of drift wood, also they hate algae wafers i dunno why... never have eaten them (i always try) they eat plenty of fresh veg, courgette, pea's cucumber. Its hard to get a good view of the other plec but ive noticed it has quite a rounded stomach surely that's not normal. Also just done a water change
Maybe you should research and see if some of the foods you give them bloat them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom