Pleco or loach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heather84

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We bought what was labled as a "stingray pleco" the lady at the pet store also said thats what it was.

That night I got home and looked it up online and found most sites said its not really a pleco at all that its a "stingray loach"

After returning to the pet store to make another purchase the lady asked me how my "butterfly pleco" was doing...............

What the heck is it? a stingray pleco, butterfly pleco or a stingray loach?! LOL

If anyone has one--please give me any information you have about this little guy

I cant get my own pictures but heres what it looks like

119.jpg

***Edit thats not exactly what it looks like the markings are diffrent but the body shape is exactly the same---im looking for a better picture**

Last edited:
OP
H

heather84

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I know them as Hong Kong plec but it's a Loach really lol
oOo sure give me yet another name for them LOL

thanks for the info

That is a hillstream Loach There are many different types but this is the most commonly found. http://www.loaches.com/species-index/beaufortia-kweichowensis
Here's a whole list of reading on Hillstream loaches
http://www.loaches.com/search?SearchableText=hillstream+loaches
Carol

Thanks for the info..........we lost power the day after we got him...it was out for like 6 hours i wasnt sure he was gonna make it. but him and the other fish all made it threw the night thankfully

which reminds me.......how long generally can fish go without my airstones going?

Hello, I merged your posts since they were back to back. Helps to save a little space on the forum.
Thanks!
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I went on a hunt for one of these over the weekend and we now have one called Phooey!
Phooey! How cute! They are really cute in groups They look like little space ships when they swim from one place to another

My LFS sells them as flat plecos. Common names vary from LFS to LFS, as well as by regions.
The bane of common names. Common names can sometimes be soooo confusing!
Carol

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Phooey! How cute! They are really cute in groups They look like little space ships when they swim from one place to another

The bane of common names. Common names can sometimes be soooo confusing!
Carol
I am after a group of them when I have my large bedroom tank fully up and running and well cycled and aged a little as I think there really cool little guys. I love the way they wiggle in the middle lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 67 67.0%

Top Bottom