Pleco Not Moving?

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by Hudson Cobb, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Hudson CobbNew MemberMember

I have one Bristlenose Pleco in a 55 gallon aquarium along with some other fish. I’ve had the pleco for 4-5 months now and he’s usually very active day and night. Over the past couple of days he’s stayed in a little cave all day and night. Also, algae is starting to grow on the glass so I don’t think that he’s roaming around much at night either. I’m not sure if somethings wrong or not

2. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

Water parameters?

3. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

What are you feeding this little guy? They will eat some algae but they need more than that to stay healthy.

4. Hudson CobbNew MemberMember

I drop an algae wafer in every other day and he usually jumps right on it but since he stays in his little all the time now I’m not sure if he eats it.

5. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

If all he is getting is algae (either fresh from the tank or wafer form) he may not be feeling very good. I know Elbert, that handsome fellow over there in my avatar really loves shrimp pellets and occasionally freeze dried blood or tubifex worms. His very favorite food though is fresh raw zucchini.

6. Hudson CobbNew MemberMember

Alright, I’ll try zucchini and see if he likes it

7. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

If he has never had it before it may take time and patience. Just cut a slice of it and weigh it down where you usually drops his wafers. By putting it in there raw you can leave it for a couple of days before removing and replacing it. It could take several days for him to try it but once he does he should come running/swimming right to it when a fresh piece is put in there.

I actually keep a piece in for Elbert all the time. His favorite part is the skin so of course I leave it on there for him. Just be sure to wash it well before putting it in there. I try to buy the slimmest ones I can find. That way it doesn't have big seeds in it that have to be cleaned out later.

8. SarahMcGeeValued MemberMember

You called it a he is it actually male? Are there females in the tank with him? He might be guarding eggs or trying to entice a female to breed with him. My male sits in his cave or in front of it to attract the ladies. It can take a few days for him to convinced one to lay eggs for him then he sits in the cave and fans them. A male with eggs/ babies may stay in the cave for several weeks without eating.

9. Anthony BloomNew MemberMember

If you don’t already have some in your tank, consider putting in some real driftwood. This gives them additional fiber in their diet as well as an additional realistic surface to gnaw and hang out on.

I had a plastic cave in my tank for a while which resulted in a lot of my fish totally hiding from daily view. Taking it out, adding a lot of mangled driftwood, and some “partial cavelike “structures “ now makes it easier to view the fish, while giving them the perspective that they are hiding. I have also found that they are much more active in general.

Perhaps something like this might encourage your Pleco to alter behavior from totally hiding from view, while yet still allowing it to feel as if it is operating naturally in a somewhat natural looking/feeling habitat setting.

I have two albino bristle nose plecos in my 45 tall; One nearly full grown, and the other in an early juvenile phase. I have taller stances of driftwood that allowed more “levels” on one side of the tank for resting fish to use (liking it to additional floors in a tall apartment building). As the larger Plenco has gotten older, he has gotten more ”reclusive” While his younger counterpart is very active (as was the older one in his younger days). For what that might be worth.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  10. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

"...one bristlenose pleco"