Pleco Not Moving Question 

Sambit

Reaction score
Hello,

I have this pleco for like 6 months. Generally he is pretty active but sometime he just stay on one stop and don't move at all, even for like 1-2 days. I have seen this behavior once before and today, its happening again. He does not even move if i touch him with a net, he just moves his tail a little. All my water parameters are stable so what is the problem? do i need to worry? all my other fishes are good.

Thx

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sambit said:
Hello,

I have this pleco for like 6 months. Generally he is pretty active but sometime he just stay on one stop and don't move at all, even for like 1-2 days. I have seen this behavior once before and today, its happening again. He does not even move if i touch him with a net, he just moves his tail a little. All my water parameters are stable so what is the problem? do i need to worry? all my other fishes are good.

Thx
Can you take a picture of him? What kind of pleco. What exactly are the numbers you're getting for your water parameters? What size/stocking in your tank? What do you feed him and your fish?

AZL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sambit said:
Hello,

Thx
Hi, I'm new to the forum and to fish keeping but I know plecs a bit as we had them when I was growing up and I've had 3 re-homed with me recently along with other fish and the tank. I'm sure more experienced people on here will have way more help to offer, particularly if there is something wrong, but as far as I know that's pretty normal plec behaviour. They are pretty chill in general and also nocturnal - yours may well be quite active while you sleep! I stay up super late so see mine moving about more. The big fella does just hang about all day and much of the night but will have a bit of a plough around looking for food in the later evening and early hours. The mid-sized male is far more active but also take some time out, same with the small one that's either a female or a juvenile male. They don't mind being touched and actually seem to like some human contact so not reacting much to a net touching yours isn't necessarily indicative of a problem. If all else if good in the tank and he's eating, defecating, and not showing signs of illness likely no problem but again, someone might have more qualified advice. Please do update if he seems unwell as those more experienced people can hopefully offer advice that would be beyond my level of knowledge

Sambit

Reaction score
Hello guys, thx for your answer and sry for my late reply. Sadly, my pleco died that night. I went and asked to the shop from where i got that pleco. He said that probably it was aged quite a lot. As per him, he had that pleco for like 3-4 years. It was a bristlenose pleco.

AZL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sambit said:
Hello guys, thx for your answer and sry for my late reply. Sadly, my pleco died that night. I went and asked to the shop from where i got that pleco. He said that probably it was aged quite a lot. As per him, he had that pleco for like 3-4 years. It was a bristlenose pleco.
Very sorry to hear! I know BN plecs can live up to 15 years but like any animal lifespan varies and if all the other fish and the water are all good just one of those unfortunate things.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom