Pleco Not Moving?

raptorfishy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
every day I feed the fish in my school aquarium and I've notice the pleco doesn't ever move. Now the tank is in pretty bad shape (were working on it!) from the previous caretakers who did a pretty bad job in taking care of fish so I wouldn't be suprised if it is sick or something like that. The pleco has stayed motionless in the same spot and position for a few weeks and I started wondering if it was dead so this morning i took a net and stuck it near him and he freaked out, swam around and went back to the same spot. Please help

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Some plecos are just shy.

I have a L018 golden nugget and all he does is hide.

It's just a personality thing.

What kind of pleco is it?

Kylee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What kind of pleco is he? Also, does he have any places to hide?
I rarely see my bristlenose pleco during the day, he is always in one of the three caves that are big enough for him. Whenever I clean my tank his color lightens and he majorly stresses out.
If your pleco doesn't have any good hiding spots he's probably just stressed and you can easily solve that.
If you do have hiding places, is there any discoloration or white spots? More than likely he just needs time to adjust, but there's a small chance he could be sick.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it was dead youd know it, lol. Plecos can stay in the same place for long periods of time, or move and go back without you knowing it.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are you watching him 24/7? If not he likely is moving when you are not around, most pleco are very shy (without a ton of hiding places and a shyer personality can make the pleco even more reclusive), some species are worse for being out and about than others.
Lighter colored plecos like albinos seem to be more tolerant of people watching them, while ones that can see better are more likely to dart off if you look in.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Plecos do not have scales and they tend to rot really fast when they die, so as was mentioned above, you will know it.

raptorfishy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We have this ugly plastic reef wall thing that I want to take out that he used to hide in and we checked if he was alive and he moved to his current spot. we should definitely get more hiding spots. Im not entirely sure the kind of pleco as I didn't buy him but I think he is a common pleco. I dont have a picture but he looks kind of like this:
5027cf19434659f383a2efbdea723369.jpg
Also if this helps here is the current stock besides pleco:

1 Red dwarf gourami
2 angelfish
9999999999999snails
around 8 white skirt tetras
one glow fish tetra
3 female bettas (Temporary)
2 juvinile mollys
and its a 90gal

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Since he is a common pleco he is going to grow too big even for a 90 gallon (plus the waste he produces), if you would like we can help you pick out a medium sized pleco that will fit in with your other fish if you are willing to rehome your current pleco.

raptorfishy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mcasella said:
Since he is a common pleco he is going to grow too big even for a 90 gallon (plus the waste he produces), if you would like we can help you pick out a medium sized pleco that will fit in with your other fish if you are willing to rehome your current pleco.
How big of a tank do they need? At the petstore, which of course is just a pet store. it says 55 gal minimum and also they don't grow much bigger than a foot sot it should be fine in a 90 gal....

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
raptorfishy said:
How big of a tank do they need? At the petstore, which of course is just a pet store. it says 55 gal minimum and also they don't grow much bigger than a foot sot it should be fine in a 90 gal....
They can get 2ft, if they aren't going to full size they are stunned, very few of the common plecos get only a foot long and those are hard to find at just any pet store.

Kylee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Surprisingly, common plecos aren't meant for most home aquariums. It's just another misleading thing that pet stores advertise. There is a man that works at Petco who actually knows what he is doing, and when my friend asked about getting a common pleco for her 75g, he said he only recommends them in a 150g tank or more to fully thrive.
My dad swears that fish only grow to the size of the tank that they're in because he had fish his whole life, but I politely disagree. Even if that is true, they aren't healthy and thriving.
I would personally recommend to rehome him and research other plecos. You might be able to have 2 bristlenose plecos because they'll have enough room to have their own territory, especially with plenty of hiding spaces.
Good luck with what you choose!

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had a big common pleco that lived for over 10 years in a 30 gallon tall along with silver dollars.

Does that mean I would recommend you do that?

Well it's not the best thing for the fish and even after 10 years he never got over a foot long. His growth was probably stunted from his own ammonia poisoning and weird fish pheromones.

Anyhow I'll bet he lived longer than 99% of the fish in his brood.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom