Pleco Not Moving Dead? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Artemis2, Dec 7, 2018 at 4:27 PM.

1. Artemis2

Artemis2Valued MemberMember

Please help!! I got my BN Pleco in October and since I was going to be gone for a month I took Peppa Pepper(that is its name) to my parents house It is 4 hours away. I put her in my 5 gallon bucket and drove now I’m here and she isn’t moving.... could she be dead?please help

2. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

Did you just arrive at your parents' house?
    If you poke the fish, does he/she move? If the fish still in the bucket, and what type of water did you use to fill the bucket? When was the last time the fish was definitely alive?

3. OP
    OP
    Artemis2

I did and she is. She was lying on her back I’m pretty sure she is dead which is super sad. Tank water and before I left on the drive.

4. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Do you have bubbler or anything to oxygenate the water? Last ditch attempt...

5. OP
    OP
    Artemis2

I didn’t think I needed to since the water would be moving a lot in the drive and there was a lot in there. I’ve traveled with less for my goldfish before and they did fine I didn’t think there would be an issue this time around.....

Anyone think she could come back to life between now and tomorrow?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2018 at 5:40 PM
  6. VeiltailKing

VeiltailKingWell Known MemberMember

Probably not to be completely honest. If her gills aren’t moving then it’s very unlikely. A bubbler would help get the water forced into her gills which might help.

7. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Did you bring water conditioner/dechlorinator?

Can you do a water change?

Did the temp get really cold?

Hopefully it only got stunned from the water becoming cold.

8. OP
    OP
    Artemis2

I did, and I can do you think that would help? I don’t think it was any colder than she been in the tank but maybe could possibly a heater help? I’ve also but in a bubbler and turned it down a lot.

9. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

It might. But dont want to give you any false hope.

How large was the pleco?

I know peacock eels have been known to jump out the tank overnight, and the owner finds it stiff on the ground. After putting them back in the tank, they start to move around after awhile and then they're back to normal.

10. OP
    OP
    Artemis2

I understand I’m not expecting much tonight just don’t wanna call it to soon when something could go some other way. She is about 2 inches now I got her at 1.5 inch.

11. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

I’m not going to sugarcoat this, and losing fish is sad (I get it, I lost a big Cichlid last week), but if this fish is upside and doesn’t move when grabbing it/gills are still, it’s gone. You aren’t bringing it back to life, and if you did, you may have super powers.

12. OP
    OP
    Artemis2

I figured that was the case. Still sad news because I traveled with him for the sole reason that I wanted him to live through my break if I thought that he would have died in transition I would have risked it with staying in my tank back home. But you live and learn I guess not the best way to learn but it is a way

13. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

Just want to say that ive seen it happen before... My friend on Instagram did it and I was shook. So never give up.

14. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

Good point! Labryth fish are different however, and this can be done because of the similarities in function to the human lungs.

15. OP
    OP
    Artemis2

It is official she is gone. Thank you everyone for the hope of a possibility!

16. Nikki2577

Nikki2577Well Known MemberMember

I am sorry for your loss:(

17. CandyCane701

CandyCane701Valued MemberMember

Sorry to hear :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice