Pleco Not Eating?

haydog

I have a pleco and he hasn’t been eating. He hasn’t ate since I got him three days ago. He’s stayed in his pineapple decoration and refuses to move. I’ve put algae wafers and the only Pleco banquet block I have in there but he just doesn’t care. Either he hasn’t noticed or just won’t eat? My family suggested removing the pineapple to force him to eat, or at least find the food. I don’t want to scare him, because we tried that one time and he just stayed at the bottom where the ornament was and sat there until I put it back over him. I’m concerned that he won’t make it. Any way that I can entice him to eat? I added another ornament thinking he’d swim over to check it out but again he doesn’t care about anything. His name is Harry! I just want him to eat...

mattgirl

3 days really isn't that long. I wouldn't stress him out by trying to force him to do anything. Stress is worse than not eating right away. He may be coming out during the night and eating bio-film. You may want to consider offering him some type of fresh veggie. My little guys love their zucchini. Even my newly hatched fry swarm the zucchini as soon as I put it in their tank.

You may have to be patient with your little guy. If he's not had it before it may take some time for him to find it is food. Put a raw piece of it in for him. Weigh it down so it will stay on the bottom. Put it in the same place each time. Replace it with a fresh piece every 24 hours. Don't try to force him to eat. Offer it and let him decide when to eat. He should eat when he gets hungry.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

What species are we talking about?

Upvote 0

haydog

3 days really isn't that long. I wouldn't stress him out by trying to force him to do anything. Stress is worse than not eating right away. He may be coming out during the night and eating bio-film. You may want to consider offering him some type of fresh veggie. My little guys love their zucchini. Even my newly hatched fry swarm the zucchini as soon as I put it in their tank.

You may have to be patient with your little guy. If he's not had it before it may take some time for him to find it is food. Put a raw piece of it in for him. Weigh it down so it will stay on the bottom. Put it in the same place each time. Replace it with a fresh piece every 24 hours. Don't try to force him to eat. Offer it and let him decide when to eat. He should eat when he gets hungry.
Thank you!! I really didn’t mean to stress him out earlier, and I won’t do it again! I’ll find some zucchini or fresh veggie for now!! Do you know how long they can go without food? Like when I should be proper worried?

What species are we talking about?
I think he’s a common pleco? I’m not super sure, sorry :,( He’s really small right now! He sorta looks like a leopard.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

I think he’s a common pleco? I’m not super sure, sorry :,( He’s really small right now! He sorta looks like a leopard.

Should be quite a pineapple then.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Thank you!! I really didn’t mean to stress him out earlier, and I won’t do it again! I’ll find some zucchini or fresh veggie for now!! Do you know how long they can go without food? Like when I should be proper worried?
You are so very welcome. It is hard to say how long they can go without food. Fortunately I've not had to find out the hard way. I would be getting worried after a week though. Hopefully your little guy is coming out at night for a nibble of whatever he can find.

How long have you had your tank set up? Is it cycled? If it is a brand new tank there may not be much in the way of bio-film for him to eat. If that is the case I would be concerned. Do you have a piece of drift wood in there for him to rasp on. Elbert, that handsome fellow over there in my avatar has driftwood but I seldom ever seeing him on it. My fry work it over pretty good. I don't think they are eating the wood though. I feel sure they are rasping off bio-film.

Back before I had to re-home Jethro, my big ol' common pleco he loved his zucchini. He would be eating off the top of the piece and Elbert would lay on his back eating on the bottom. Sure wish I had thought to get a picture of them together.

Knowing exactly what kind of pleco you have should help us home in on the best food for your little guy. Some of them prefer a meatier diet than some others.

Upvote 0

FitSoldier

Don't worry. If there is no physical damage or signs of illness, and your water parameters aren't an issue, there is a good chance there's nothing wrong.

Fish will not starve themselves. I get frustrated too when some of my guys don't eat when I just got them. If they wanna play that game with me, so be it. Eventually, they will eat.

My personal record (or one of my fish's personal record) was not eating for about 4 weeks.

Upvote 0

haydog

You are so very welcome. It is hard to say how long they can go without food. Fortunately I've not had to find out the hard way. I would be getting worried after a week though. Hopefully your little guy is coming out at night for a nibble of whatever he can find.

How long have you had your tank set up? Is it cycled? If it is a brand new tank there may not be much in the way of bio-film for him to eat. If that is the case I would be concerned. Do you have a piece of drift wood in there for him to rasp on. Elbert, that handsome fellow over there in my avatar has driftwood but I seldom ever seeing him on it. My fry work it over pretty good. I don't think they are eating the wood though. I feel sure they are rasping off bio-film.

Back before I had to re-home Jethro, my big ol' common pleco he loved his zucchini. He would be eating off the top of the piece and Elbert would lay on his back eating on the bottom. Sure wish I had thought to get a picture of them together.

Knowing exactly what kind of pleco you have should help us home in on the best food for your little guy. Some of them prefer a meatier diet than some others.
I’m not exactly sure what cycled means? I’m so sorry, I’m sure it seems like I’ve put in no research but to be honest, I haven’t. I feel awful I haven’t done research but if you saw another thread of mine then it explains I didn’t want Harry, someone got him and decided they didn’t want him so they handed him to me. Now I love him!

Wow! Elbert looks so amazing! He also looks so different from Harry! He doesn’t have spikes on his face (which looks so handsome on yours) and Harry isn’t that color!

I did get a new tank! I didn’t have one for him so I sent someone to hurry and get any tank they could find! It has a filter! I really don’t know much more about it! As for driftwood, unfortunately I do not have any. I did put a banquet block in there which said it had driftwood in it!

Don't worry. If there is no physical damage or signs of illness, and your water parameters aren't an issue, there is a good chance there's nothing wrong.

Fish will not starve themselves. I get frustrated too when some of my guys don't eat when I just got them. If they wanna play that game with me, so be it. Eventually, they will eat.

My personal record (or one of my fish's personal record) was not eating for about 4 weeks.
That’s a long time! Wow! I don’t think there are any signs of illness or damage? He does look pink, more so than yesterday, but I figured it was just I hadn’t noticed or just me being overly nervous.

As for water parameters, I’m not sure what that includes... I think it’s okay? I have had snails for a month in the water in another tank? It’s well water!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ButtercuptheOranda
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
  • Question
Replies
Views