Pleco Not Eating?

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by tum0r, Apr 25, 2018.

1. tum0r

tum0r Valued Member Member

I mean, he eats the algae on the glass but I have yet to seem him interested in anything but the glass. I haven't seen him on the wood/rocks/plants or substrate at all and he hasn't tried eating any of the pellet food I've put in for him and the other fish. I am going to try feeding peas probably tonight, see if he's interested in that, and then I'll try either zucchini or cucumber if I can get a hand on them.

2. JamieXPXP

JamieXPXP Well Known Member Member

he might not like the pellets or hasnt realized that they are food. i know a lot of plecos love blanched zucchini

3. OP
    OP
    tum0r

Ya, I'm thinking he doesn't really know they're food, fingers crossed he'll go for the zucchini when I manage to get some.

4. Shivermetimbers

Shivermetimbers Valued Member Member

I had bought a baby bn pleco a couple weeks ago, it was pretty small, maybe 1.25" long total. Had a pretty similar experience, tried a few different veggies, bottom feeder wafers etc, didn't seem interested in much other than being attached to walls, driftwood and rocks in the tank. Couple days ago saw it belly up in the middle of the tank on the substrate. Thought it was one of my small cory's at first but then realized it was the pleco. Not sure if it starved but it was not any skinnier than when I got it. Not much algae in the tank, so figured it would take to some of the offered food but not so much. If I get another it won't be as small as this one.

5. OP
    OP
    tum0r

Oh geez, my aquarium doesn't have much algae either, I really hope that doesn't end up happening to mine. He is about the same size as yours was, I'm going to get some zucchini when I can because all he ever does is suck on the driftwood and glass.

6. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Lack of algae shouldn't matter. That is not the primary part of their diet. If he is not willing to eat anything else, not even zucchini, I would be concerned that he isn't feeling well....

7. OP
    OP
    tum0r

He looks perfectly normal, he swims about and has no physical signs or behavioural signs that something is wrong. I genuinely think he has no idea that it's food I'm giving him. He is practically never on the substrate, so when I feed pellets that the other fish cannot eat because it's too large for them or when I feed the peas, even though they sit at the bottom for a few hours, he doesn't even go near them because he never goes on the substrate.

8. OP
    OP
    tum0r

Just thought I'd give an update incase anybody stumbles across this again. I tried putting lightly blanched sliced zucchini in the aquarium, I even left it in there overnight but he was absolutely not interested in it and it was left untouched, literally. I tried this a couple nights in a row with no success. I finally had enough, (I do not recommend this if you can get your pleco to eat on his own just because it stresses them out) I put him in a fairly large net with only the zucchini in with him. He eventually (FINALLY) landed himself on top of the zucchini and tried a bite. He was a little freaked out for the first 20 minutes (as one might expect) but since then he has settled on the zucchini and is finally eating it!
    He genuinely doesnt like sifting the bottom of the tank, only the glass and hardscape/plants so that paired with his general shyness stopped him from coming anywhere near the zucchini when I placed it in the aquarium. Plus I really don't think he realized it was food haha. I've had him in the net with the zucchini for maybe 15 minutes plus the initial 20 minutes, a total of 35 minutes. I'm going to let him out of the net and back into the aquarium and my hope is now that he knows its food he will recognize it in the future and will actually try and eat it when I put it directly in there instead of needing to net him again.

9. JamieXPXP

JamieXPXP Well Known Member Member

it can be a little tricky to get fish to realize its food. i hope that what you did worked, maybe continue to put him in the net with food for a couple of days and then see if he will eat it outside of the tank

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice