Pleco? Not A Pleco?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by RyleighJ, Apr 15, 2017.

1. RyleighJ

RyleighJ Valued Member Member

Hi there! My mom has an algae eater in her tank, and we're curious to as to what he (or she, I have no clue) is. I think he might be a pleco because that seems to be the closest fit, but he doesn't quite look like most of the pleco pictures I've seen before.

Any help identifying him would he appreciated! And if he is a pleco, what kind?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some other info that might help: he spends most of his time in a cave, is a bottom feeder, and has blue eyes.

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

That is not a Pleco. That looks to be a species of African Upside-Down Catfish.
    Not too sure, but I believe that this is Synodontis Eupterus.

3. Zahc

Zahc Well Known Member Member

Agreed with above, Synodontis Eupterus or "Featherfin Catfish". It's not a pleco.

4. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

I know them as featherfin squeakers.

5. Ed204

They go by a number of names. Synodontis Eupterus, Featherfin Squeaker, Featherfin Catfish and even Squeaking Upside Down Catfish.

By the way, I would consider upgrading your tank size in the future.
    Syno Eupterus can get up to 6-8 inches and possibly 12 inches.

Once they are adults they are known to eat smaller fish, that's why feeding them sinking carnivore pellets is a good idea.

I keep my Syno Eupterus in a 135 gallon tank with bigger cichlids such as Blood Parrots, a Gold Severum, Silver Dollars and a FireMouth.

I would recommend at least a 55 gallon for a single specimen. What fish do you have with your Catfish at the moment?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2017
  6. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

Thanks so much everyone! It's my mom's tank (I have several of my own but this is hers) and she keeps another algae eater with it (no clue what this one is either) and two angelfish. I know she wants to upgrade, but I'll let her know she should do it soon!

This is the other unknown algae eater.

[​IMG]

7. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

That's a common pleco.

8. Ed204

Common Plecos are labeled "Algae Eater" in some fish stores across the state however, they do eat algae but I must say dont do a good job doing so. Also, they make a huge mess, pooping everywhere and anytime.

Both of the fish in your mom's tanks will grow to a large size. The Syno will grow up to 8 inches and the Common Pleco can get up to 2 feet.

9. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

I knew how big plecos could get, which is why I was especially concerned about whether or not the original fish was a pleco. It didn't occur to me that the little guy in the last picture could be a pleco because of how tiny he is now.

10. Ed204

Looks can be very deceiving, most people aren't aware that baby 2 inch common plecos can grow up to become a 2 foot monster.

11. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Ha! True. I had a common and I KNOW they grow fast but he liked his terracotta pot. Then one day he came and and he'd doubled in size. :) I traded him in and later got a Bristlenose. They stay small, only around 6 inches I've heard. And the males look awesome.

12. Ed204

They do grow only up to 6 inches. However, they still make a mess :(

13. 2211Nighthawk

True... but they look weird enough that it is so worth it. :D

14. MikeRad89

It may not be a common, the picture isn't close enough. I'm just guessing from the general shape.

15. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Yes, I thought it could possibly be a Sailfin.

Synodontis and Plecos are potentially very long-lived fish. I would expect them to live over twenty years easily given suitable care.

16. MikeRad89

Short dorsal, definitely not pteygoplichthys.

17. Ed204

I don't know about you, but it could be a baby bristlenose Pleco.

18. MikeRad89

Could very well be. I can't see much of anything from the picture, I just know it's a pleco species.

19. Ed204

I can't see clearly as well.

To the OP:
    You'll know if it's a BN Pleco if bristles start to grow on it once it reaches maturity. Once it reaches a good 4-5 inches it should display bristles.

20. 2211Nighthawk

Mines only about two inches long and he's already got a face full of bristles. He's adorable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice