Pleco lethargic, rapid breathing, white between scales?

belugabelly

I’ve had my Pleco for about 5 years and the past few days he has developed and white spaces between his scales. He moves around but lays pretty haphazard instead of in his usual spots. I have observed him not interested in eating last night. He has rapid breathing and I noticed that yesterday one of his fin bones is red on the tip. I’ve read that this could be an ammonia burn but my water tested negative for ammonia and I’m not sure his other symptoms are related. At first I thought it might be some kind of fin rot but I’m really not sure.

I had added Kanaplex to treat my Cichlid for a bit of white fungus that he’s been struggling with at the beginning of the week. I thought this may have bothered my Pleco so I’ve done water changes and turned my UV light back on. I’m not sure if that was at all related but he has not rebounded since. What do you think is wrong? How can I help him?

Attachments

• 6DC6D1F3-D0AC-464E-B995-60931DE92146.jpeg
    6DC6D1F3-D0AC-464E-B995-60931DE92146.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 2255E45F-ED50-41AD-BFC8-D8C3A9296CD2.jpeg
    2255E45F-ED50-41AD-BFC8-D8C3A9296CD2.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 62412E4B-8380-4D0D-84D5-1C6E6AB3209A.jpeg
    62412E4B-8380-4D0D-84D5-1C6E6AB3209A.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 8

A201

I have seen "new arrivals" common Plecos with similar white blotches, which were due to subpar water conditions in the shipping bag.
The white fungus on your Cichlid might be a secondary infection to a primary bacteral infection.
If that's the case, the Pleco might also be infected.
You might try "Microbe Lift Artemiss". Petco sells it.
I don't have too much confidence in Kanaplex or Furan 2.

belugabelly

I have seen "new arrivals" common Plecos with similar white blotches, which were due to subpar water conditions in the shipping bag.
The white fungus on your Cichlid might be a secondary infection to a primary bacteral infection.
If that's the case, the Pleco might also be infected.
You might try "Microbe Lift Artemiss". Petco sells it.
I don't have too much confidence in Kanaplex or Furan 2.
Thank you very much. I’ll look into that medicine and see if it can help!

belugabelly

I posted the other day about my sick Pleco but he seems to be getting worse and more pale and I don’t know what to do.

Symptoms:
- Not sticking to sides of things and is just laying around
- Not interested in food
- One red fin bone (ammonia burn??)
- White marks on body and getting paler
- Rapid breathing
- Fin tearing (fin rot?)

My water is testing fine and I did a large change yesterday to get my ammonia to absolute 0. I treated Arlo last night with half a dose of Kanaplex and did the other half today (Didn’t want to overwhelm him). I’m so worried that it’s not enough or maybe the issue is not bacterial or fungal. I have the medications sulfaplex, metroplex, and general cure on hand. Should I add another medication just in case the Kanaplex isn’t the right thing? I thought an antibiotic like that would be the best pick but I’m not so sure. I’m just so worried that while waiting to see if the Kanaplex works, he will die. Please advise on what I should do! I can run out to get a medication at the local petco if necessary but I am limited to that.

I’m not sure what the main issue is

(Photo from today) Getting worse :(
1CA37569-B967-4ABE-A8D3-E431CCDEABC9.jpeg

Attachments

• 4FCC259F-03A3-4502-A99F-E51A730139B8.jpeg
    4FCC259F-03A3-4502-A99F-E51A730139B8.jpeg
    194.8 KB · Views: 10
  • C310C887-CF7E-4002-B382-CD8F2E6B21E1.jpeg
    C310C887-CF7E-4002-B382-CD8F2E6B21E1.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 8
  • F14D685E-A353-4D52-A9DF-33B2B36F67C6.jpeg
    F14D685E-A353-4D52-A9DF-33B2B36F67C6.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 11

PeterFishKeepin

As it was established in the other thread, tank size too small for a large fish that is going to keep growing huge, just do daily water changes.

belugabelly

As it was established in the other thread, tank size too small for a large fish that is going to keep growing huge, just do daily water changes.
I think you may have confused this with another thread

PeterFishKeepin

Sorry yes I did I just checked the thread that is yours.

Common plecos need more then 125gal each, how big is your tank? Perhaps the other tank mates are picking on him and he is getting common white stress patches?

belugabelly

Sorry yes I did I just checked the thread that is yours.

Common plecos need more then 125gal each, how big is your tank? Perhaps the other tank mates are picking on him and he is getting common white stress patches?
I’ve quarantined him just in case there is any picking happening. Currently he is about 7 inches and in a 65 gallon tank. It is under stocked as well (a cichlid and a rainbow shark). He has done well in there for many years so I’m not sure what is going on.

PeterFishKeepin

are you 100% sure he is common pleco??

still he will need a tank upgrade or moved to a pond... 65gal isnt enough for huge plecos.

belugabelly

are you 100% sure he is common pleco??

still he will need a tank upgrade or moved to a pond... 65gal isnt enough for huge plecos.
I suppose I’m not 100% certain. I understand when/if he gets bigger he will need an upgrade. I’m just trying to keep him alive at the moment… he is hanging in there in the quarantine tank

belugabelly

Unfortunately, Arlo passed away last night

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom