Pleco is patchy....

1. jszemborski Initiate Member

My Common Pleco seems to have a white patch on his side.. His color has always been very patchy.. Should I be worried?

Attached Files:

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to FishLore! :)

The pictures not working for me, but it is normal for large plecos to change their colors depending on their mood and their environment. As long as it doesn't appear fuzzy, in dented, or as a bump, I wouldn't be too worried :)

3. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Yep, Akari is right. That's just his coloration. It can change depending on his mood. :)

4. jszemborski Initiate Member

It looks patchy.. I am not sure why the photo is not working I will have to retry it.

MD Angels were you able to see the photo?
    I can send another if need be.

Thank you for the welcome Akari :)

5. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum.

While it is true for plecos to change colors, that patch on his side looks a bit fuzzy to me. Just not sure if it really is fuzzy or if it is only the picture.

Do you know what your current water parameters are? What size tank is he in?

If you wouldn't mind, please provide complete Aquarium Profile Information. This information will help the members to gain an understanding of your tank. Just click the My Settings button at the top of this page, and select Edit Aquarium Info. Complete the information on your aquarium, including tank size, filtration, stocking, lighting, water parameters, etc. And save your changes.

6. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I would say that looks like some sort of fungus or something to me.

7. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Yes, I saw the picture. I don't think it looks fuzzy. Plus it follows a pattern along his side.
    Js, does it look raised/fuzzy or anything like that in person?

8. jszemborski Initiate Member

Hello all, It almost looks as though it is on his body. I did just recently treat the tank for fungus and bacteria a week treatment because another fist was lost due to a sore.

currently I have a 40 gallon with 1 sword-tail 4 zebra dannos and 3 lemon tetras 2 guppies and a shark red fin I am not sure what he is.. my catfish is the one that died. And then I also have my common pleco.. I had my water tested at a local store and the Ammonia tested normal and that was the only thing she tested for because that is where I get my fish from and they do not sell ph sensitive fish.

9. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Did she test for nitrites and nitrates along with the ammonia. The ammonia could be normal and the others are spiked. If you can afford it, I would get my own kit. The things I use the most are my syphone and my testing kit.... oh and salt. How do you spell syphone?? Something is wrong.

Welcome to the Forum.

10. jszemborski Initiate Member

She did not test for nitrates.. I think that it looks raised to me almost like a snake shedding skin to me. He/she is still active and is my favorite fish. I do not want to lose him. I would hate to have to treat the whole tank for fungus again but would rather do that then lose anymore fish to what ever is causing the problem.

11. jszemborski Initiate Member

My father said ICK but I do not think it looks like ICK and the coloration in the photo is the actual color of him it is not the photo that is fuzzy it is him. I asked a friend and she said that she thinks that he looks stressed.

12. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

I'm sorry to say your tank is overstocked. Common Plecos need over 100G, Red Tailed Sharks need 55G. Unless you are doing very large daily water changes your water parameters are most likely not good. That spot on your pleco could be a nitrogen burn. The only way to know is to run ammonia, nitrite and nitrate tests.

If your LFS is telling you they don't need to test anything other than ammonia because "they do not sell pH sensitive fish", I'd think twice about returning. All fish can be sensitive when dealing with changes or being in an uncycled tank.

The best thing you can do is to rehome the pleco and the shark. And to pick up your own liquid test kit.

For now, you are going to need to do large water changes daily. Something in the 75% range. And use a detoxing water conditioner. Seachem Prime or Kordon AmQuel+ with NovAqua+ are the best. These products will remove chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals to make water safe for the fish; plus they help the slime coat and detox nitrogen waste (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) for 24 hours.

It is siphon....lol

BTW, salt should not be used with catfish and other scaleless fish. Salt irritates the slime coat and causes it to thicken. On scaleless fish this can be deadly.