Pleco Invasion in Florida!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MJDuti, Apr 23, 2012.

1. MJDuti

MJDutiWell Known MemberMember

I was just checking my yahoo e-mail acct and found this article on their site:

Just the latest case of pet owners not being responsible!
    The guy is holding the fish out of the water, but it looks like a pretty fish. Can anyone ID?
    Isn't this illegal by the way?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  2. tpasser2

tpasser2Valued MemberMember

Hah wow that's crazy. People need to stop being irresponsible with their pets.

3. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

I read that too yesterday

4. LyndaB

LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

Yahoo's a little slow on the uptake. The problem with the plecos in FL has been being reported for years. I know the Orlando Sentinel reported on it back in March of 2005. :p

LOCAL
    These Suckers Are Dangerous By Steven D. Barnes, Special to the Sentinel, March 24, 2005
    Beneath the surface of the crystalline waters of the Wekiva and Little Wekiva rivers lurk schools of prehistoric-looking fish that have captured the attention -- and disdain -- of state biologists. Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of plecostomus -- the South American suckermouth catfish commonly used to keep aquariums clean -- have taken up residence in the rivers and may pose a threat to both manmade structures and to native wildlife. At Wekiwa Springs State Park, hundreds of the fish congregate in the springhead during cold snaps, gorging themselves on the algae that grow on the seawall surrounding the swimming hole.

Also of interest......

LOCAL
    Aquarium Fish In Florida Ocean Worrying Scientists By David Fleshler, South Florida Sun-Sentinel, April 12, 2004
    Thousands of miles from their homes in the Pacific Ocean, Indian Ocean and Red Sea, 16 species of non-native tropical fish have been spotted in the waters off southeast Florida. Most likely released by aquarium hobbyists, these fish could constitute a potential threat to native fish and other marine life, according to an article in the journal Marine Ecology Progress Series. Volunteer divers have repeatedly spotted emperor angelfish, yellow tangs, lionfish and other species that are imported into the United States for home aquariums.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  5. can haz catfishies?

can haz catfishies?Valued MemberMember

On the plus side least your rivers will have less algae.......

6. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

less of one nuisance usually means more of another ;)

7. CichlidSWAGA

CichlidSWAGAWell Known MemberMember

i really wish snakeheads were not illegal cause there a really cool predator fish

8. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Not that anyone could properly house one....

9. CichlidSWAGA

CichlidSWAGAWell Known MemberMember

very true....

10. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

I have caught tons of the sail fins, pretty fish and all but they destroy the banks. Basically put they dig into the side of them and collapse it. They also eat everyone out of house and home. Between them and the tilapia who knows where the bass went.

11. soltarianknight

I have caught tons of the sail fins, pretty fish and all but they destroy the banks. Basically put they dig into the side of them and collapse it. They also eat everyone out of house and home. Between them and the tilapia who knows where the bass went.

I think their leopard sailfins or a hybrid as far as i can tell. They grow to around 3ft at the most.

12. escapay

escapayWell Known MemberMember

I read the article the other day as well... I can't believe LFSs did not take the unwanted fish.

13. pirahnah3

pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

I saw that earlier as well, nice small common he was holding haha

14. LyndaB

LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

Have you seen the SIZE of these things? Not only would the LFS have difficulty housing them in the store, who the heck has a tank big enough to buy them?

15. soltarianknight

Thats the thing, these arnt tank sized fish, and even if you had a 300gallon tank you could have what 2 of them? maybe 3. These are a pond/lake fish. Unfortunetley they grind down the sides.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice