Pleco in a 29g

• Thread starter AcornTheBetta
  • Start date

Sanderguy777

Well Known
yes, i think it is. The pleco only gets 4 or so inches, but the corys AND it would be too much I think. I dont know what the wcmm is...

oops, followed the link. Must be my old brain lol. I THINK the white clouds want cold water, the rest want warm (or at least the pleco and corys do)

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Sanderguy777 said:
yes, i think it is. The pleco only gets 4 or so inches, but the corys AND it would be too much I think. I dont know what the wcmm is...
White Cloud Mountain Minnow. It's a young person term XD

Sanderguy777 said:
oops, followed the link. Must be my old brain lol. I THINK the white clouds want cold water, the rest want warm (or at least the pleco and corys do)
I was thinking panda corys... I think BNs can go to 72 which is the coldest it's ever going to be. I now have a choice, corys or BN... Or could I do:
  • 6 WCMM
  • 1 BN
  • 6 corys
  • 3 Endlers

Sanderguy777

Well Known
I would personally go with the corys since they are more active in the day.

I'd do
6 corys
8 or so endlers
All in a walstad or at least heavily planted tank.
Though,
1 BN
10 endlers would look good with lots of cover and one big piece of mopani wood...

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Sanderguy777 said:
I would personally go with the corys since they are more active in the day.

I'd do
6 corys
8 or so endlers
All in a walstad or at least heavily planted tank.
Though,
1 BN
10 endlers would look good with lots of cover and one big piece of mopani wood...
I kinda have to do the WCMM cuz they are in a betta tank right now because I was a total noob
Would this stocking work:
  • 6 WCMM
  • 1 BN
  • 6 corys
  • 3 Endlers

Sanderguy777

Well Known
I would try that, but then again, I have African cichlids, so overstocking is kind of in the blood!

I would personally skip the BN if I were to do that set up, unless you want to try and have a place for him to live it it falls flat.

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Sanderguy777 said:
I would try that, but then again, I have African cichlids, so overstocking is kind of in the blood!

I would personally skip the BN if I were to do that set up, unless you want to try and have a place for him to live it it falls flat.
I want the BN so bad. I think I'll pass on the corys and go:
  • 8 WCMM
  • 8 endlers
  • 1 BN
Note: This tank will be very heavily planted to help with bio load cuz pleco = poopo

fishkeepinginaisa

Sanderguy777 said:

WCMM=White clound mountain minnow

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
fishkeepinginaisa said:
WCMM=White clound mountain minnow
BTW I checked out your YT and I thought it was good! Actually cool to see someone showing people that fish aren't brainless and should be considered as much of a pet as a dog.

fishkeepinginaisa

AcornTheBetta said:
BTW I checked out your YT and I thought it was good! Actually cool to see someone showing people that fish aren't brainless and should be considered as much of a pet as a dog.
Thanks so much! I am making progress. I will do an update on my build thread soon. I bought a maroon clown and he has already learned to follow a training rod.

jake37

Fishlore VIP
I'd skip the bn pleco and they can get quite a bit larger than 4 inches. Also - i'd go for one of the pygmy cory (there are three options) and go for 10ish but otherwise what you have will work just a suggestion based on personal preference.

Mazeus

Well Known
It sounds as though you aren't that keen on your WCMM? You could always try to rehome them or see if the FS will take them back.

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Mazeus said:
It sounds as though you aren't that keen on your WCMM? You could always try to rehome them or see if the FS will take them back.
That's a thought.
jake37 said:
I'd skip the bn pleco and they can get quite a bit larger than 4 inches. Also - i'd go for one of the pygmy cory (there are three options) and go for 10ish but otherwise what you have will work just a suggestion based on personal preference.
I prefer the bigger corys.
Would this work:
  • 8 Enlders
  • 8 Corys
  • 1 bn
Or (I like this option a bit more):
  • 3 Enlders
  • 6 WCMM
  • 1 BN

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Folks here would be in shock if they could see the stocking in my biggest tank (55 gallon) Elbert (5 1/2" BN Pleco) lives in there with at least 25 albino/bronze corys. Corys are too active to get an accurate head count. This tank also has about a dozen each of neon and bloodfin tetras, 5 black skirt, one columbian tetra, and one pearl danio.

I keep the tank at 76 but it goes up to close to 80 during the hottest part of Summer. Most of these fish have lived in this tank for going on 5 years now. I've not put the heater in the tank yet but will have to do so soon since it seems Fall is coming on fast. It is down to 72 in all the tanks this morning. It went from 80 down to 72 over a matter of at least 3 weeks so happened very slowly.

Think about it. Fish in the wild thrive in different temps throughout their lifetime. Different seasons bring on different temps. I think if you want to keep WCMM in with pleco, corys and Endlers you could compromise on the temp and keep it at about 74 and all should be comfortable. Maybe not ideal but comfortable.

Drastic changes are what can be detrimental to fish. Slow changes not so much. The temp may drop a degree or two during the night and go back up during the day but it happens very gradual much like it does in the wild. I know my corys are much more active now that things have cooled down. They have even started spawning again.

All this to say. If you want corys and a BN Pleco in your 29 gallon tank I say go for it. If you are concerned about the size of the pleco and you don't already have one try to get one of the smaller varieties. Super reds come to mind but only because I have some and the adults are only 3 or so inches long. Lots of other species stay almost as small. Keep an eye on the parameters and change out no less than 50% of the water each week. A tank can be stocked a bit heavier than what you have read as long as you keep up with the water changes.

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
mattgirl said:
Folks here would be in shock if they could see the stocking in my biggest tank (55 gallon) Elbert (5 1/2" BN Pleco) lives in there with at least 25 albino/bronze corys. Corys are too active to get an accurate head count. This tank also has about a dozen each of neon and bloodfin tetras, 5 black skirt, one columbian tetra, and one pearl danio.

I keep the tank at 76 but it goes up to close to 80 during the hottest part of Summer. Most of these fish have lived in this tank for going on 5 years now. I've not put the heater in the tank yet but will have to do so soon since it seems Fall is coming on fast. It is down to 72 in all the tanks this morning. It went from 80 down to 72 over a matter of at least 3 weeks so happened very slowly.

Think about it. Fish in the wild thrive in different temps throughout their lifetime. Different seasons bring on different temps. I think if you want to keep WCMM in with pleco, corys and Endlers you could compromise on the temp and keep it at about 74 and all should be comfortable. Maybe not ideal but comfortable.

Drastic changes are what can be detrimental to fish. Slow changes not so much. The temp may drop a degree or two during the night and go back up during the day but it happens very gradual much like it does in the wild. I know my corys are much more active now that things have cooled down. They have even started spawning again.

All this to say. If you want corys and a BN Pleco in your 29 gallon tank I say go for it. If you are concerned about the size of the pleco and you don't already have one try to get one of the smaller varieties. Super reds come to mind but only because I have some and the adults are only 3 or so inches long. Lots of other species stay almost as small. Keep an eye on the parameters and change out no less than 50% of the water each week. A tank can be stocked a bit heavier than what you have read as long as you keep up with the water changes.
I will keep up with WC. Would having it at 73 work? I can keep it there until winter, but then I can purchase a heater. Is this overstocked:
  • 3 Enlders
  • 6 WCMM
  • 1 BN

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
AcornTheBetta said:
I will keep up with WC. Would having it at 73 work? I can keep it there until winter, but then I can purchase a heater. Is this overstocked:
  • 3 Enlders
  • 6 WCMM
  • 1 BN
I don't consider that over stocked at all. You could even go ahead and add your corys if you are still wanting them. Corys are great at cleaning up any extra food that makes it past your other fish. I always make sure to add extra when I feed all my fish to make sure some gets down to them. Of course I also feed them their own food at night.

73 might be alright but I would try to keep it at at least 74. It may not make a bit of difference though.

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
mattgirl said:
I don't consider that over stocked at all. You could even go ahead and add your corys if you are still wanting them. Corys are great at cleaning up any extra food that makes it past your other fish. I always make sure to add extra when I feed all my fish to make sure some gets down to them. Of course I also feed them their own food at night.

73 might be alright but I would try to keep it at at least 74. It may not make a bit of difference though.
73, 74 there is really no difference cuz the heaters aren't that accurate and their are a ton of factors that affect the temp. Is this good stocking:
  • 3 Enlders
  • 6 WCMM
  • 1 BN
  • 6 Corys

jake37

Fishlore VIP
The endlers would prefer it warmer than 73 but unless they are a weak strain they should be fine at 73. 73 is the warm side of wcmm - it won't boil them but they do prefer it cooler.

AcornTheBetta said:
  • 3 Enlders
  • 6 WCMM
  • 1 BN

jake37

Fishlore VIP
I would drop the larger cory and the reason is that in my 29 i do have 7 sterbai and at least with my tank there just isn't enough floor space for them when they want to move around. They can be quite active - here is a picture of my tank

(the angels in there is just temp - they were some frys i'm growing out a bit - also the l204 and lemon bn will get moved to the 120 soon):

qq.jpg

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
AcornTheBetta said:
73, 74 there is really no difference cuz the heaters aren't that accurate and their are a ton of factors that affect the temp. Is this good stocking:
  • 3 Enlders
  • 6 WCMM
  • 1 BN
  • 6 Corys
That should work. There are lots of different kinds of corys. Some get much bigger than others. My biggest bronze corys, the females are about 3" long. The females are much bigger than the males. Most of the males are about half their size.

Do some research on corys and choose some that will be comfortable at this temp.

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
mattgirl said:
That should work. There are lots of different kinds of corys. Some get much bigger than others. My biggest bronze corys, the females are about 3" long. The females are much bigger than the males. Most of the males are about half their size.

Do some research on corys and choose some that will be comfortable at this temp.
I know my LFS has panda corys who can go low too.

Top Bottom