Pleco In 14 Gallon

1. FishyBeginner Member Member

Anyone know if a.pleco would be happy in a 14gal?
  2. MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Definitely not. Not enough space for any kind of pleco, IMO.

3. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

4. Mac's Initiate Member

Hey FishyBeginner,

Sorry to say but no a Pleco will not fit at all. Most of them get massive. Even the small ones will not fit at all.
    If you do not mind me asking why you wanted one??

5. jertan98 Member Member

I dont think any species would ever fit in a 14 gallon. Not even a 20G IMO
  6. FishyBeginner Member Member

@Mac's They're really cute. :3 And my tank is gonna be planted sooo I thought it would be good for a pleco too.
  7. queeqyo Initiate Member

Most (if not all) plecos will outgrow a 14g in no time, sadly!

8. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

Bristlenose Plecos are one of the smaller types, and they need 30g+ for space.
    I've got one in my 31g.
  9. popsikle Initiate Member

get some otto cats!
  10. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Even the smallest plecos need 30+ gallons. I have a bristlenose in my 29g and he's almost 6in! A nice bottom feeder alternative would be some snails like nerite or mystery snails or some shrimp (cherry shrimp, amano shrimp, ghost shrimp). But this all depends on your tank mates

11. BReefer97 Well Known Member Member

The minimum tank size for even the smallest of plecos is between 50-60 gallons. You could do a community betta fish tank! Or even a female betta sorority tank :)
  12. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

I believe ottos need 20g with a long footprint? Correct me if I'm wrong
  13. jertan98 Member Member

I think a betta sorority should be 20g MIN, plus it might be hard to manage with all the drama and fights
  14. BReefer97 Well Known Member Member

Most betta community tanks I've seen are 10 gallons, so I believe a 14 gallon would do well. There isn't much to manage, of course their going to fight - they need to establish a pecking order.
  15. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Female betta sororities need 20g mimimum. I wouldn't do a betta community tank in a 14g either.
  16. scarface Well Known Member Member

Yes. Check out PlanetCatfish and even Monsterfishkeepers and do your own research. This isn't the place to get your answer. Most here think a BN is just one species.
  17. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

May I ask what Pleco you would put in a 14g aquarium?

There are four main species of ancistrus bristlenose plecos, found in the trade which are Ancistus sp. , Ancistus sp.(L144) , Ancistrus cirrhosus ,Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus, and they all get to big to be in a 14g , 20g at the bare minimum would be needed but a 29g better.
  18. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

I doubt that is true. I know of hundreds of species of plecos, lots of BN plecos as well. I have had albino BN and currently have two Lemon BN plecos. I still wouldn't suggest keeping a pleco in a 14 gallon. Plecos are long...even the 4in varieties...and they wouldn't be happy in a tank with that footprint since they wouldn't have proper swimming and exploring space.
  19. scarface Well Known Member Member

I wasn't looking at the BNs specifically, but
    personally, I wouldn't hesitate putting an inambari dwarf bn in a 10g, if only I could find where to buy them. There is also the ancistrus claro. The pitbull pleco or parotocinclus is another option. There are some small panaques or woodeating plecos I would add as well, but only one. I'm not an expert at all, but some of these comments o_O And of course, people will disagree with me. I don't think the OP knows what kind he wants. I figgure this isn't the best place to find out.
  20. shiv234 Well Known Member Member

maby a bristlenose......but they get about 8 inches. I heard the albino bristlenose remain at around 4 inches. Any experts feel free to correct me since i'm not good with plecos