Pleco Identification

1. G

Guppppppppy New Member Member

What kind of pleco is this ??

Attached Files:

2. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

Kind of looks like a clown and if it is, they aren't great algae eaters and actually eat driftwood.

3. OP
    OP
    G

Thanks, the pleco spends all day on the drift wood, so he probably is a clown

4. v

varmint Well Known Member Member

I would say Clown also. They do eat driftwood and can make a mess of your tank.

5. scarface

scarface Well Known Member Member

It’s not a Clown. That I know for certain. Based on the head, it looks carnivorous, and thus, a species belonging in the genus Hypancistrus. Maybe it’s a Chocolate Zebra Pleco, but I’m not really sure, and I’m not very good with L-numbers. I wouldn’t be surprised if the common name covers several different types. Can you get a better pic?

6. Dch48

I would still say Clown. There are different variations of Clown Pleco and I found some pictures on line that look exactly like the one shown here. A couple of them came from this very site.

7. wodesorel

wodesorel Valued Member Member

I agree wirh scarface, not a clown - the eye shape and pattern is wrong, as is the curve of the nose. It is hard to tell from the photo, but clowns have a noticeable rough texture from head to toe.

8. Dch48

Look up images. The patterning on Clowns can vary greatly.

9. scarface

It’s the shape of the head and the eyes that tells me it isn’t even in the genus Panaque or Panaqolus. My best guess is Hypancistrus. @chromedome52 any ideas?

10. C

Coptapia Valued Member Member

It's a young Gold Spot, Pterygoplichthys joselimaianus. They grow to about 15" total length. They're mainly herbivores in nature but will eat anything in a tank (including algae).

If you could count its dorsal fin rays you'll see it has more than 10, characteristic of Pterygoplichthys (at this size you'd probably need to count them in a photo).

11. scarface

Looks like it.

12. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

What is the tanksize ?

13. Dch48

It doesn't look anything like that one to me. It doesn't have spots, it has an uneven pattern closer to striping.

14. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Something wrong with calling it a Gold Spotted fish - it's not spotted. I've had 2 inch joselimaianus, and they were clearly spotted. That fish looks to have a more vermiculated pattern. And the pattern in the pectorals isn't right, either; it's too jumbled, the Gold spot has very even rows of markings on those fins. Plus the shape of the pectorals is different, OP's fish is curved along the back edge, while Gold Spotted Sailfins have a straight edge, making the fin look more pointed.

I know that there is some variability in the species, but I've never seen that much difference. This was my fish at about 5 inches, seven months after I got him. Pattern was changed very little from the young fish.

DSC_0033.JPG

I would like to see a better side shot of the OP's fish. I just don't see it as being Pterygoplichthys joselimaianus.

15. C

Coptapia Valued Member Member

Very young Gold Spots are quite variable, and can be vermiculated and/or spotted. It's 100% Gold Spot. It's one of those species I have no problem IDing... :)

16. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

Whoever said gold spot, give them a point.

17. OP
    OP
    G

it's a 15 gallon aquarium

18. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Then I would bring back the plec a.s.a.p.