Pleco Identification?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by spartan17nla, Apr 24, 2018.

1. spartan17nla

spartan17nlaNew MemberMember

Hello guys, I am new to this forum but I was wondering if anyone is able to identify this pleco I recently bought. Also, the guy who sold it to me told me that it looked pretty fat and was most likely pregnant but I’m not sure if that’s true because she’s still very small.

Attached Files:

2. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Clown to me (P.maccus) Be sure it has wood to eat / for digestion.

3. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

It’s a Clown Pleco (Panaque maccus) which is a wood-eating species of plecostomus. Thus, it’s important to have wood in the tank for it to rasp on. Also, they don’t get very big, so yours is very likely to be mature.

4. OP
    OP
    spartan17nla

Ah ok thanks! I’ll go pick up some driftwood from my LFS tomorrow

Ok cool, thanks. As of right now all I have is coral rock and some plants in the tank which was from my previous set up. Currently the pleco just sits in one of the holes of the coral rock all day long and barely ever moves out from it even at night. Could this be her being pregnant or is it something else?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2018
  5. scarface

No, the behavior is completely normal. They are naturally very shy, as well as easily frightened. If you wanted a fish that you can see all day, you picked the wrong one. If you can appreciate a fish you see only once or twice a month, then you chose correct.

Also, I’m not convinced the fish is pregnant. Looks normal to me, unless you can get a better picture. Even if the fish is fat, it’s probably from eating too much standard fish food. Mine mostly eats driftwood, with veggies on occasion.

6. OP
    OP
    spartan17nla

I've previously kept other plecos and they were out at night sucking all over everything which is why I was asking. I am ok with not seeing her often, but just wanted to make sure there was no underlying problem with her.
    I have never seen her eat anything although I do drop in an algae wafer once ever other night and have tried cucumber for her.

7. scarface

Most algae wafers are usually too much for a single Clown to finish in a single night, if it has rasped on it at all. If the wafer appears to have been broken up into pieces the next day, my bet is that the pleco has eaten some of it.

8. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Plecos do not get "pregnant", they get heavy with eggs. A female still needs a male to fertilize the eggs after they are laid, they do not practice internal fertilization.

9. scarface

Good catch. I simply assumed the OP used the word pregnant synonymously to mean egg bound. Reading back, I should have caught the misunderstanding.

10. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Could be the lack of wood (improper diet) causing it to bloat as well.