Pleco ID

1. ChaseAce Initiate Member

My friend recently gave me this pleco but didn't know what species it is. If anyone could help me identify it that would great.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

I looks like a common pleco, what size tank do you have him in?

3. ChaseAce Initiate Member

It's in a 20 gallon quarantine tank right now but I have a 60 gallon tank that I'm planning on moving it to

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

5. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Keep in mind, this pleco (if that's what it is) can get over 18" and are massive waste producers

6. ChaseAce Initiate Member

I'm fairly sure the 60 gallon can keep up with it. It has a fluval 406 and a 10 gallon sump. Would that be good enough for filtration and water quantity?

7. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Yes, just as long as you don't have any small fish or shrimp in there, as they might get accidentally eaten. ;)

8. ChaseAce Initiate Member

Ok thanks for you help!

9. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

If it's a common (doesn't look like one to me, but I'm not good at pleco ID), it won't be okay in your 60 gal. It requires a much larger tank (150+ gallons).

10. ChaseAce Initiate Member

Now that I'm looking around at some pictures of the common pleco, I'm not too sure if that's what it is. The dorsal fin doesn't look the same. Anyone else have a clue of what it is or is it just an odd looking common?

11. slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Not a normal common but one of the older ones of the genus Hypostomus.

12. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

The original Common. It will probably grow well over a foot. Treat it just like a normal Common. It will outgrow a 60, and eventually need a 150+ as TexasDomer said. :)

13. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

So probably not appropriate for your 60 gal, even with a sump. Physical space, not bioload space, is the issue :(

14. ChaseAce Initiate Member

Ok I found the fish on planetcatfish now. It's Hypostomus punctatus. Looking around for info on it is showing that it grows to about 1 foot, is that accurate?

15. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

As PlanetCatfish says, it could be any number of Hypostomus species. You won't be able to get an accurate ID without knowing where it (or its ancestors) were caught.

16. ChaseAce Initiate Member

Ok thanks