Pleco Id Help

1. GarraGirl

GarraGirl New Member Member

This is Rexie, so called because he wags his tail like a dog when he gets fed. He was sold to me as a bushy-nose pleco, which he is clearly not. Is he just a normal common pleco? If so, he is in way to small of a tank. 20641679_1750621684966805_321300739_o.jpg

2. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Looks like a bushynose/bristlenose (whichever you prefer) to me. It's either a female or too young to get bristles in yet.

3. OP
    OP
    GarraGirl

I would lean towards female since I've had Rexie for about 7 months now. Would a male bushynose take that long to grow his brisles? Rexie is about 4 inches long now.

4. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Females would have small bristles near the mouth while males have them on the face. If she hasn't grown any in 7 months she's a....she.

5. OP
    OP
    GarraGirl

I have held her before when I have to get her out of a tank I'm draining (I used to have to move all my tanks twice a year and she went through my last move). She has the typical gill shanky shanky things (I have no idea what they're called but when a pleco is scared or threatened they can get them caught in nets and such), but no bristles near or on her mouth. I have looked a lot.

6. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

I'm no expert, but I recall that some do and some don't. I'd say yours is a female.

7. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Female Ancistrus cf cirrhosus.

One of mine is called (Ty)Rexxie hahahaha

8. OP
    OP
    GarraGirl

Thank you so much! I am glad I won't have to get rid of her, because she is adorable. the bristlenoses are all I can keep in that tank and she won't get along with my garras.