Pleco ID help

Bobbitworm13

I bought a pleco a few months ago thinking it was a bristlenose. It is about 4 inches and still no bristles. It has 13 dorsal spines and has a reddish strip on its pelvic, pectoral, dorsal, and caudal fins. He is brown with black spots. I will get pics when he comes out of hiding. All help is appreciated. Thanks

aliray

We would need a picture from the top and side with the fins up if you can. Also if it is a female most of them don't have bristles or very small ones. It is the males that get all the bristles but he or she is till young yet. Welcome to the forum and glad you joined us. Where did you purchase him from meaning what type of store, big box or private fish store. Alison

Bobbitworm13

It was a private store. There were bristlenose plecos as well as 3-4 other species in the tank so I think they netted the wrong pleco

slayer5590

It's a common.

Bobbitworm13

They didn't have any commons at that store

Aquaphobia

It looks like a common to me, too. Maybe a sailfin.

Can you get a better picture with the dorsal fin standing up? Also a full body picture including head and tail.

Bobbitworm13

A common pleco (hypostomus sp.) has 5-8 dorsal rays (depending on exact species) so I can assure you it is not a common pleco. It could be a sailfin pleco of some kind but it is not a common pleco.

macdoona

Realised I poster on wrong thread lol. Xx

slayer5590

Hypostomus sp aren't normally sold as commons anymore. Pterygoplichthys sp are the ones sold most often as commons these days. 10-13 dorsal rays is what to look for. The fish in question is most likely P. pardalis or a Florida hybrid.

Bobbitworm13

The patterning is wrong for P. pardalis

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Beaurgard
Replies
Views
Mcasella
Replies
Views
Aquatica88