Pleco Ich :(

ErinM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I had an Ich outbreak a week ago, and so far I only have one German Ram and one Pleco left. I treated and raised the temp a bit, but it got to almost everyone. Tank decimated.
My Pleco seemed fine at first, but now its been a few days and he is not well. I treated again yesterday, and he doesn't seem to have gotten any worse, but I don't think any better either. On a side note my one Ram is perfectly fine it seems, I haven't once seen any ich on him, and he has gotten all of his colour back and its beautiful again (he is fairly new to my tank, and I think that him and/or his mates were the reason I got ich to begin with).
But my pleco, is not moving much, not really eating that I can tell (algae wafers go to waste on the bottom of the tank) and his skin now looks like it is shedding....but I don't see any ich spots on him? But his fins are all tattered too. What else can I do? I am going to do another water change tonight and raise the temp a bit more...should I medicate again? I just don't want to over medicate...
I would hate anything to happen to him I've had him for probably 4 years now.

catman3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What are you treating with? is it pleco safe and does it have salt. there are few meds that wont harm pleco more than help. They dont like salt,meds or solitude. try to find Kordon ich attack plus. Kordon is pleco safe and saved my albino bn last week. It is all natural and organic, its safe for use on catfish,loach and fry.

ErinM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Its called Ich Clear. I didn't know that plecos didn't like some meds? If i get more tomorrow (that is pleco appropriate) should i still medicate? I have twice now in one week.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would not. I would do the temperature raising thing. Ich can be treated without meds, and if you over-medicate, it's often harmful or even fatal for your fish.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
+1 Meenu. I don't believe treating ich requires meds. Raising the temp method is far more effective and safer IME.

tyspot1000

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Heat alone is the best method for getting rid of ich in mild outbreaks, however not the most effective on severe outbreaks. Raising the temperature to 86 and performing frequent, partial water changes can help the situation greatly but may not always be 100% effective. This method will help to control the Ich but is not the best primary course of action in your situation. Leaving the tank at such a high temp for two weeks unnessarly stresses the fish far beyond what is required.

catman3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just remember that if it gets too serious that kordon works. It does not stress fish or require temp change, it cost $6 and treats for most unwanted parasites and bacteria. and the soloitude part was a funny. put my pleco in qt and he got upset. Also if you do end up useing meds wait about a week and start doing parshil water changes because certin meds will buil up.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

So sorry to hear that you are dealing with ICH. If you are experiencing fish loss due to ICH then I would also recommend medications. From what I've seen, ICH Attack will work. Never had to use medications for ICH myself.

Although not every fish may show signs of the Ich parasite, the entire tank is infected and should be treated.

Too, some fish that contract ICH may only get it once.

My Ich Treatment method below:

Increase the tanks temperature to 86 degrees and leave it there for a full two week period. Even if the fish appear to be free of the parasite, leave the temperature increased for the full two weeks. Raise the temperature slowly throughout the day. 2 degrees per hour should be fine.

Warmer water requires more oxygen so adding an air stone/supply line may help.

Do two gravel vacuums each week to remove the spores that fall off the fish and into the substrate. Make sure the new water is the same (86) temperature as what is in the tank.

Adding Garlic Guard or garlic juice onto the fish food 2 or 3 times each week will help to boost the fishes immune system. (link below for garlic juice):
minced garlic in a jar..just an example for those needing it
Garlic Guard:

Vita Chem (for additional vitamins) added to the fish food and directly into the tank will help the fishes overall health. Follow the directions on the bottle.

It's been my experience that salt isn't necessary with the heat treatment.

I feed my Pleco a slice of raw zucchini every day and he loves it. I also push an algae wafer into the zucchini slice so that the wafer isn't stolen by other tank mates. I slice the zucchini round about 1.5" thick, weight it down and drop it in the tank.

You can soak the zucchini slice in garlic juice or Garlic Guard and Vita Chem mentioned in the links above.

I highly recommend Quarantine for all new fish:
Quick and dirty quarantine setup

Best wishes for your fish!

Ken

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i'd go heat only, but if necessary you can add salt, you just cannot add a ton of it. Medicating with salt is a tried and true method that has been used by many, just be sure you know what you are doing before you attempt it, as scaleless fish are more sensitive to it.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You've already tried two meds. To try another will stress out your fish, in my opinion, more than heat will. I'm going to disagree with tyspot and catman on this one, and agree with Ken, Nick, and even Jeta. I wouldn't try salt at this point, but he's right that it is thought to work.

ErinM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks for all your suggestions...I will raise my heat up a bit more (its around 83 right now) and leave that for a bit and keep it clean and see how things go.
And I am definitely going to set up an quarantine tank now...this is the first major issue I've had but I don't want it happening again!
As of this morning everything seemed the same, no better no worse. I did a clean and water change last night, so I will do it again in a few days. I will also grab some of that medication as a just in case, if it continues to be an issue.
Once everything seems to be back to normal, is it safe to add fish again? (after being quarantined anyway) Or is there a set amount of time I should wait once all of the symptoms seem to be gone?

catman3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would play it safe and raise the temp to 86, i dont think 83 will kill ich. Also wait about a week after there are no signs of ich to stop treating. Then wait as long as you feel comfy(at least a week) before adding new fish to let everything settel down.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Ich is going to get worse before it gets better. Be sure to leave the temperature increased for the full two weeks. This will interrupt the ICH life cycle and the parasite will die off. The third week and as long as the spots are gone, then I'd start lowering the temperature slowly.

Good for you for getting a Quarantine set up.

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom