Pleco-how much food is too much?

1. FishFishEverywhere

FishFishEverywhere Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 12 inch sailfin pleco that I've had for 3 years. He (or she...) loves veggies. Our garden is producing a lot right now so he's been getting squash etc every night for dinner. How much is too much? I don't want to overfeed him but I don't want to starve him either.

Right now he's been eating a small (4-6 inch) whole zucchini or yellow squash every night. Is that too much? Should I feed him less? The seeds are making a mess in the tank but I figure its worth it if it keeps him healthy and happy.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +8,488
    Welcome to Fishlore!

I don't think you need to worry about overfeeding him unless he looks obese. Can you attach a pic?

3. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +46
    I would vary the veggies somewhat but I really don't think they can overeat veggies. Welcome to the forum and glad you joined us. What goes in a plecos mouth comes out 45 minutes later as fish poop. IMO they don't overeat veggies and do need some protein as well. There is a thread running now PLECO!! Share Yours. On page three about halfway down I wrote a post on feeding veggies and fruits to BN plecos. It would apply to yours as well . you might want to give it a read just to give you some more ideas of foods you can feed him. :;hi1Alison

4. OP
    OP
    FishFishEverywhere

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! From the garden he gets zucchini, yellow squash, cucumber, and some other kind of squash I am not remembering the name of. So he has a little variety with that. We also give bloodworms to all the fish and shrimp pellets. I haven't had too much luck with fruit, he seems to leave it alone. He's large but doesn't appear obese.

5. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +399
    You should be feeding it some chopped fish or shrimp as well as the veggies.

6. aliray

Ratings:
    +46
    Have you tried melon chunks, Cantalope or seedless watermelon? Sweet red bell peppers? He just sounds like a healthy happy pleco, What's his name? Alison

7. OP
    OP
    FishFishEverywhere

Ratings:
    +0
    His name is Gibbs! Because he is a gibbiceps pleco lol.

8. OP
    OP
    FishFishEverywhere

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been trying to upload a picture but it keeps freezing, maybe later

9. aliray

Ratings:
    +46
    I thought you were an NCIS fan. :;hi2

10. OP
    OP
    FishFishEverywhere

Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe I do also enjoy NCIS, however my favorite character was Ziva :)

11. OP
    OP
    FishFishEverywhere

Ratings:
    +0
    He does get bloodworms and sinking shrimp pellets. I found out the hard way that he will also eat live shrimp when I tried to have some ghost shrimp in my tank...