Pleco-how much food is too much?

1. FishFishEverywhere Initiate Member

I have a 12 inch sailfin pleco that I've had for 3 years. He (or she...) loves veggies. Our garden is producing a lot right now so he's been getting squash etc every night for dinner. How much is too much? I don't want to overfeed him but I don't want to starve him either.

Right now he's been eating a small (4-6 inch) whole zucchini or yellow squash every night. Is that too much? Should I feed him less? The seeds are making a mess in the tank but I figure its worth it if it keeps him healthy and happy.

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

I don't think you need to worry about overfeeding him unless he looks obese. Can you attach a pic?

3. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I would vary the veggies somewhat but I really don't think they can overeat veggies. Welcome to the forum and glad you joined us. What goes in a plecos mouth comes out 45 minutes later as fish poop. IMO they don't overeat veggies and do need some protein as well. There is a thread running now PLECO!! Share Yours. On page three about halfway down I wrote a post on feeding veggies and fruits to BN plecos. It would apply to yours as well . you might want to give it a read just to give you some more ideas of foods you can feed him. :;hi1Alison

4. FishFishEverywhere Initiate Member

Thanks! From the garden he gets zucchini, yellow squash, cucumber, and some other kind of squash I am not remembering the name of. So he has a little variety with that. We also give bloodworms to all the fish and shrimp pellets. I haven't had too much luck with fruit, he seems to leave it alone. He's large but doesn't appear obese.

5. slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

You should be feeding it some chopped fish or shrimp as well as the veggies.

6. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Have you tried melon chunks, Cantalope or seedless watermelon? Sweet red bell peppers? He just sounds like a healthy happy pleco, What's his name? Alison

7. FishFishEverywhere Initiate Member

His name is Gibbs! Because he is a gibbiceps pleco lol.

8. FishFishEverywhere Initiate Member

I've been trying to upload a picture but it keeps freezing, maybe later

9. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I thought you were an NCIS fan. :;hi2

10. FishFishEverywhere Initiate Member

Hehe I do also enjoy NCIS, however my favorite character was Ziva :)

11. FishFishEverywhere Initiate Member

He does get bloodworms and sinking shrimp pellets. I found out the hard way that he will also eat live shrimp when I tried to have some ghost shrimp in my tank...