Pleco help

1. Katiec90 Member Member

My Gold Spotted pleco seems to be changing color and spots fading. I've heard it might be stress, i did have some mean fin eating black skirts, which I've just removed, any input? Do you think it might just be stress, or something more serious? [​IMG]

:c

2. Dovah Well Known Member Member

3. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

And tanksize ?

4. Katiec90 Member Member

I dont know the specifics, but I had Pet smart test the water and they said it was too (getting my own tests on payday) real softwood but idk what kind, it was given to me.

40 gal tank. I feel like it might be stress. I had some black skirts that turned into killers, they have since been removed and replace with guppies

5. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

This is a normal pattern for a white substrate. They try to blend in, and this is its best attempt. It's also a stress pattern, but that could be just because of the inability to blend in...

White substrates are not common in nature, and they usually only occur in hard alkaline environments. So they're unnatural for most fish. Bottom dwelling fish are usually adapted to blend in with the substrate and if they can't they become stressed.

6. Katiec90 Member Member

I previously had white crush coral (cichlid tank) and actually just switched it last week and I decided to turn it into a community.

7. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

So have the pH and hardness changed much?

8. Katiec90 Member Member

Yes, and now hes settled in and his color is back to normal :)