Pleco Health

Viralology
Hey guys, I have been in the hobby for about 2 years and now and I recently got my first pleco. About 2 months ago. Being nocturnal I just want to make sure he looks good from someone experienced. I have never seen him move about the tank. I feed once a day around 4 and lights go out at 5. I feed a mixed diet. Flakes, Pellets, Frozen Blood Worms, Algae Wafers. I always put a little more food than usual and they usually just sit on the bottom and by next morning the entire floor is cleaned of food as well as the algae wafer and pellets.

Current Stock: 65 Gal Tank
1 Angel
4 Corries
3 Pearl Gouramis
1 Golden Nugget Pleco

About 50 tiny mystery snails that I do not know how to get rid off.

Attachments

• IMG_3872.jpeg
    IMG_3872.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3873.jpeg
    IMG_3873.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 102

Advertisement
Fishy McGee
That is a beautiful pleco

Advertisement
Gourami36
Can you send a picture of the snails?

HDavid
That pleco is gorgeous. On a side note, if you want to control yo snail problem you can always get a couple assassin snails.

Viralology
That is a beautiful pleco
Thank You, I really love it.

Can you send a picture of the snails?

:

Not currently home but this is it.

That pleco is gorgeous. On a side note, if you want to control yo snail problem you can always get a couple assassin snails.

I'll give them a try. Can I get them at my LFS?

Advertisement
Viralology
Overall you guys think it looks healthy?

HDavid
HDavid
I'll give them a try. Can I get them at my LFS?

I love mylasian trumpet snails. If they are overpopulating it means you are overfeeding your fish. I have not seen healthy assassin snails at my lfs. You might in your area, but you can find them on amazon if you wish to add them. MTS(mylasian trumpet snails) are an excellent clean up crew that won’t eat live plants so I think they are great in every tank, and have had them in every tank I owned

Viralology
I love mylasian trumpet snails. If they are overpopulating it means you are overfeeding your fish. I have not seen healthy assassin snails at my lfs. You might in your area, but you can find them on amazon if you wish to add them. MTS(mylasian trumpet snails) are an excellent clean up crew that won’t eat live plants so I think they are great in every tank, and have had them in every tank I owned

So basically no repercussions from having them? Also how do they indicate if I am overfeeding? Just curious.

Advertisement
Gourami36
Are they bad?

Great to hear that!!
I don’t mind them because they eat leftovers from my cories and mystery snails so I don’t have to vacuum it out. They also stir the sand so there’s no gas pockets

Viralology
I don’t mind them because they eat leftovers from my cories and mystery snails so I don’t have to vacuum it out. They also stir the sand so there’s no gas pockets

Cool, guess I just watch the population make sure there aren't 1000 just on the bottom lol.

HDavid
So basically no repercussions from having them? Also how do they indicate if I am overfeeding? Just curious.

Basically they survive off of uneaten food in the home aquarium. The more food they have the Moore they populate. If you look up mts take over you can find horror stories of people with thousands in their tanks, but again it just comes from people overfeeding->population exploding. Not saying yu are, just saying if you have too many that’s how you cut their population

Viralology
Basically they survive off of uneaten food in the home aquarium. The more food they have the Moore they populate. If you look up mts take over you can find horror stories of people with thousands in their tanks, but again it just comes from people overfeeding->population exploding. Not saying yu are, just saying if you have too many that’s how you cut their population

Ahh, makes sense. Yeah I can try to cut back on the amount I feed. Just glad to hear my Pleco is healthy. What signs indicate that he has not eaten? Cause I have read main death for plecos is starvation.

Gourami36
Ahh, makes sense. Yeah I can try to cut back on the amount I feed. Just glad to hear my Pleco is healthy. What signs indicate that he has not eaten? Cause I have read main death for plecos is starvation.
Plecos mainly starve because people don’t feed them and think they just need to eat algae. If he has a sunken belly and the skin on his head is wrinkled and loose then he’s underfed

Viralology
Plecos mainly starve because people don’t feed them and think they just need to eat algae. If he has a sunken belly and the skin on his head is wrinkled and loose then he’s underfed

Oh okay, Yeah I feed a varied diet to all my fish, I also have wood in the tank. Also the next day after feeding the bottom the tank is literally cleaned of any food.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Thunder_o_b
  • Question
Replies
Views
Leinalou
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
  • Question