Pleco has been less active

ArtFish

Hi, I have a pleco in my 75 gallon with cichlids.
The past month or so it has been pretty inactive and my tank has been getting dirty. I’ve had it for about a year and I’m not sure if they get lazier as they age and get larger. Maybe it’s a temperature issue as it is becoming cooler where I live but I have a heater in the tank. My fish are doing good so I don’t think it’s a water issue. I recently switched my filter type from a HOB filter to a canister. The pleco also used to go and eat the pellets when I fed my cichlids but now he doesn’t.
There’s also not as much pleco poop in the tank so I’m concerned it’s just not wanting to eat. maybe I should try feeding it more veggies?
Any advice or ideas to why he’s been inactive would help

Noroomforshoe

You said the tank is getting dirtier. pleco and other bottom feeders are going to be affected by this as they are right down in it. eating and breathing in the worst of it. You should get out your gravel vacuum and do some deep cleanings,

Can you tell us the results of tests for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

ArtFish

You said the tank is getting dirtier. pleco and other bottom feeders are going to be affected by this as they are right down in it. eating and breathing in the worst of it. You should get out your gravel vacuum and do some deep cleanings,

Can you tell us the results of tests for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?
Yeah, by dirty I just mean the brown algae is covering everything again, The water is still clear.
The water seems to have some nitrates, no nitrites. I only have the tester strips right now so I can’t test for the ammonia.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
mimianderson
  • Question
55 Gallon Tank Stiff unresponsive pleco
Replies
Views
jake37
Replies
Views
Sade715
Replies
Views
Doomheadthebetta

Random Great Thread!

Know of a great thread on Fishlore that should be on this list? Submit the thread link here:
Great threads on Fishlore

New Pleco Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom