Pleco Growth rate

samamr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a pleco in a 10 gallonnn and when he gets big I will buy him a 50 gallon (my other one has a leak) so I want to know what is the growth rate like every month one inch or after one year 4 inches. I just need to know.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
there are a lot of factors involved, but fish grow the fastest when they are small. As a fish gets older the growth in length slows and the growth in overall size (girth)increases.

samamr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
so when they are smaller what is there growth rate

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fast if they are fed well and have the space to grow. If you want an inch by month I can't give you that.

Borisbbadd

Jaysee said:
Fast if they are fed well and have the space to grow.
Yep !!!

samamr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
alright hank you guys so would I expect him to be anout 8 inch buy the end of this yeaer

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What kind of pleco?

What happens once it's 8 inches?

samamr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Its a common pleco and I want to know how big it will be at the end of the year if it is fed properly in the right space

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
samamr said:
alright hank you guys so would I expect him to be anout 8 inch buy the end of this yeaer
Depends on the type of pleco, as Jaysee suggested. It also depends on the care it's receiving.
A juvie pleco in a 100g tank where the nitrates are kept at 5-10ppm, there are plenty of plants and hiding places, and a solid diet of algae is supplemented with vitamins and veggies is going to grow much, much faster than a juvie pleco in a 20 gallon tank with uncontrolled nitrates and only gets to eat what algae grows in the tank.
It will also depend on other water qualities and how close they are to the pleco's waterways of origin.
Fish growth responds to external stimulus. If the surrounding area can't support growth, then growth will slow down.

Personally, I doubt it would reach 8" in most aquaria in one year. But then, I've only had my pleco for a couple of months.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How big is it now?

samamr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
pk then so I learned that the better you care the more it will grow and if you dontt ccare it won't grow as quickly.

thank you everyone

oh and jaysee it is 2 inches

convictleoparddempseyplec

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
all depends on how much you take car of the pleco, but be advised the common pleco will get huge with in a couple of years getting to be around 24" when fully grown, I have a fully grown common which took him around 3 years to get to after getting him from a walmart pet shop as a fry. The first 1-2 years he grew quick in length then 2-3 grew in width. If fed and taken care of well 2 inches now it is very possible to have it be 6 -8 inches by the end of the year to 10-12 inches by next July 14 - 16 December 16-18 July staying around that length growing slower length but getting wider till next July possible 20 inches - full grown.
Sad to say I have a full grown common pleco with a huge cave taking up half of a 55 gallon tank with a 2nd common pleco at 16 inches a full grown leopard pleco at 12 inches two Kissing Gourami, 20 convicts and 2 orange jewel cichlids. Space is tight until the new possible 100 gallon tank. So from what I have learned, they grow quick and will need big tanks and big tanks cost a lot of money and space lol good luck

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads