Pleco For 20g 20 Gallon Tank

1. april_fish Member Member

2. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Both can work in a 20 long. If you have a warm water stock, go with clown plecos. A cooler water stock, go with the BN pleco.

3. april_fish Member Member

I keep my water at 75-76 F. Which one would do better at this temp?

Also, should I get a pleco, kuhli loaches, panda cories, or sterbai cories? If I got a pleco I would get the one that does better with my tank temperature.

Thanks for the reply!

4. MudSkipper Member Member

If your looking for algae eaters just get oto cats, shrimp or nerite snails they do a much better job and dont stop eating algae as they get older.

5. goplecos Well Known Member Member

BN plecos would be best

6. april_fish Member Member

I'm not looking for specifically algae eaters, I'm just interested in plecos and loaches because I have never kept them before. :)

7. Landos Well Known Member Member

Clown pleco too

8. Jckronk76 Initiate Member

The BN pleco are much more active and eat algae as a bonus. My clown would always just hide, never saw the guy.

9. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

The BN pleco, kuhli loach, and panda cories would work at that temp. Sterbai cories need warmer water than that. Personally, I'd do panda cories. BN plecos can live at 75-76 F.

10. PRJ since1990 Member Member

I have an Albino Pleco and he's neat but he stopped eating most of the algae and prefers to jump in at meal time for the other fish. I second the Otos/Shrimp/Nerite snails idea. I have all of them between 2 tanks and they are fantastic! Shrimp and Otos especially active and fun to watch.