Pleco Food

1. joe Member Member

I am getting a pleco today and was wandering what to feed it or if it will just eat the flakes i have been feeding my platy and pearl danios. Can anyone tell me what to feed it.

2. fishfreak Member Member

U could buy some alage wafers that sink to the bottom how long have u had your tank setup?

3. joe Member Member

I've had it set up about 4 or 5 weeks

4. joe Member Member

Will the pleco eat flakes or do i have to get the algae wafers? ???

5. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

You really need to get the algae wafers. Depending on what type of pleco you have, it probably is mostly a veggie eater. Most flake foods for community tanks are a little bit of this and a little bit of that which is probably okay for most fish, but plecos really need more veggie material. You can also get a veggie clip next time you go to the fish store and put slices of zucchini in the tank for him. He will love you for it!

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

All of my Pleco's love veggies(zucchini, yellow squash), algae wafers, shrimp pellets about once a week. In other words just about anything that lays on the bottom. Also depending on what kind of Pleco it is it may need wood in the tank to rasp on. There is an ingredient in the wood they need.
    Carol

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

This is a pic of my Rhino Pleco(Pterygoplichthys scorphus) enjoying a piece of zucchini. the zucchini is about 4 inches long so you can tell about what his size is.

Attached Files:

8. FishFan Member Member

OH wow! Cool pic! Can I feed my Plecos cucumber? Just wondering. Thanks :D

9. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Yep, but the seeds can mess up the tank. You can pretty much feed any veggies.

10. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I feed my Plecos relatively small zucchini because the seeds are smaller and softer so the plecos tend to eat them. Haven't had much luck with cucumber because as Gunnie says the seeds make a mess. But a lot of people like them.
    Carol

11. Durbkat Member Member

Joe what sized tank do you have? If it is something smaller than a 100g tank then you won't be able to keep a common pleco because they get up to 2ft. long! But you can get a bristlenose pleco. And they only eat the wafers or vegatibles. They only eat flakes when they are STARVING!

12. Jason Well Known Member Member

Yeah I'd say go for a bristlenose pleco cause they're basically a mini version of the common. They do a great job cleaning off any algae. Mine loves the sinking wafers!

13. hydreloy Initiate Member

Hey Durbkat, I agree with you on the size of the tank part...but you can manage to maintain your common plecos size. Have you ever noticed that when you feed your fish flakes, the fish don't eat it all..and it just goes down onto the plants, drift wood, rocks, etc...and it turns your ornaments a brownish color, thats what the plecos eat....and thats why sometimes you see your pleco(if its not shy) sucking the sides of your tank. HE HE...one of my pleco sucks the connector to my filter...no wonder why he's almost 7 inches...lol

DID YOU KNOW THAT...

when plecos get to be to large for their tank, they get dissinterested in eating algea off the side of your tank and ornaments...thats when I use the wafers.

14. Durbkat Member Member

Well yeah I did. But I feed my guy wafers overy other day because very seldomly My fish will let food sink to the bottom. And it gets brown algae sometimes appears on the rocks and he gets that up. But thats not enough for him to survive on! :mad: They need wafers to survive. I learned that the hard way. I had a chinese algae eate and he died within a couple weeks because no one told me you had to feed them because they would eat the brown algae which it didn't.

15. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Why would you keep a pleco in a tank that was too small for him?

16. hydreloy Initiate Member

I meant if, you have a pleco that is a foot long in a 100 gal tank...they dont get interested in eating the algea, but need to be fed the wafers, or zucchini, or whatnot. I wish I had a foot long pleco. My 7 inch one is with my snakehead.

17. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I totally disagree with your statement then. I am no expert, but I have friends who have been in the hobby for more than 25 years, and I have never heard or read that a pleco gets disinterested in algae once they reach a foot in length. Some may become more carnivorous as they age, but it has nothing to do with the size of the fish, or the size of the tank they are in. I have a common pleco that is at least a foot long in a 100 gal. tank, and he is constantly looking for algae in my tank. I have never had a real algae problem in that tank, and I do supplement his diet with zucchini, yellow squash, broccolli, even a sweet potato or two, but these are all vegetables, and even if I did have problem algae, he would still get the veggies. Where did you hear this?

18. Durbkat Member Member

Yeah why would you? If you did that would stunt the growth of the fish, which is unhealthy and it won't live much longer.

19. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I've never heard that large plecos get disinterested in algae when they get bigger either. I have seen plecos that were kept in tanks that were too small become very lethargic and there fore not hunt for algae as aggressively.
    Carol

20. Jessie_Lynn Member Member

Yikes! I think I have to many plecos for my tank...I have 1 plectomus(7inches), 1 red pleco(6 inches), a cory cat (1 inch) and I currently am adding a Beautiful Gold nugget pleco..sigh..I just can't get enough of them. I have a ten galon tank...but I make sure they all get fed properly so they won't starve 1 alga tablet per pleco and cory, twice a day. They all eat like crazy. Are they that big because I'm overfeeding them? I was told that if you have a small tank they are not supposed to grow that big. ???