Pleco feeding

1. Janmitch22 Member Member

I've got Hikari Tropical Algae Wafers for my pleco, who is about 4 inches long. The wafers are about the size of nickels. How much do I feed it? I've had the pleco for a couple of months and I still don't have this down. The package says to feed as much as the fish will eat in a couple of hours. Well, I feed before I go off to class and I feed before I go to sleep, so the pleco can feed in darkness. But still, sometimes he latches right onto the wafer and sucks away, other times I come back to see that there is algae matter all over the place. I've tried a whole wafer, I've tried half a wafer, I've tried a quarter of a wafer...it seems like I have to read my pleco's mind to see how much it wants to eat.

The reason why I'm concerned is because I've put my clown loaches in with my pleco, all in a bigger tank. I don't want buildup from the algae wafers to make my loaches sick (I read somewhere that they're more sensitive to water conditions because they have no scales). I'm very vigilant about vacuuming the pleco poop, but I don't want to starve the pleco if he hasn't eaten yet, but I also don't want to have the algae wafer sitting around. WHAT SHOULD I DO?! Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I have 2 clown loaches and 1 rhino pleco in the 75 Gal and I drop 1 whole Omega one veggie wafer and 1 broken in 1/4's each night then turn the light out. It's always gone by morning. The clowns will eat them also. it won't hurt to leave tehm over night.
    Carol

3. Jason Well Known Member Member

Dont worry your pleco wont starve he'll be eating the algae growing in you tank as well. All the fish will be eating the wafers so I'd say half to a whole one would do...