Pleco expert needed - L134 or L333?

bmuckluck
So I saw an L134 (leopard frog pleco or Imperial tiger pleco) online at my LFS but it sold. They have L333's still available that are similar looking and get to be around the same size. Does anyone prefer one over the other? What makes them different? Is there a different, similar size / looking pleco you would recommend?

I love the look of the 134 and the fact that it doesn't feed majorly on algae (since I have otocinclus that NEED the algae in my tank).
I hqve heard L401's are similar?

Any recommendations of what pleco I should go with is greatly appreciated!

Heres my ideal requirements:
max 5" full grown
black & white \ striped
somewhat (large fish/semi-aggressive) community compatible (pictus catfish & angelfish would be tankmates)
tank is kept at 80 degrees

Im leaning towards crossing my fingers that the get more L134's in soon but i would love to hear your thoughts and opinions!

Advertisement
Dennis57
Hi, I do have a lot of plecos in my tanks these are 3 I dont have. I will say the L333 can get up to 6", still not that big. The L134 is mone of my next plecos that I will be getting once we get back to ( normal living ). The L401 is probably the smallest of the 3 plecos you mentioned.

Advertisement
bmuckluck
Hi, I do have a lot of plecos in my tanks these are 3 I dont have. I will say the L333 can get up to 6", still not that big. The L134 is mone of my next plecos that I will be getting once we get back to ( normal living ). The L401 is probably the smallest of the 3 plecos you mentioned.
Do you have a favourite small ish one that you have in your tanks? I do like that the L401 is smallest, but something about that L134!! Not sure why but I feel like i need one ahah.

jake37
If you keep a solo pictus catfish from what i've read (never owned one) it might be a bit hostile towards pleco.

JB92668
the l134 is a nice pleco the others are plain

Dennis57
Although I love my golden nugget ( they get big ) I love my clown pleco, hes about 4"

Advertisement
FinalFins
Just want to note fancy plecos will hide alot.

jake37
One thing I'm curious is why you selected those three pleco - is it colouring, diet, disposition ? There is for the example the flash pleco (l204) which is mostly vegetarian and only grows to 5 inch. Then there is the false zebra pleco (l129) which seems similar in diet to the three you mentioned and there is the false zebra pleco (l127) and so fourth. I think there are several hundred to choose from.

Dennis57
Just want to note fancy plecos will hide alot.
Very true, I have 7 plecos in 1 tank I only normally see 2-3 the rest??? There in there but love to hang out on all my driftwood in the back so there hard to find.

jake37
I see two of my pleco daily - the flash and one of the bn; but the third one (another bn) i only see once a month or so - sometime less sometime more depending on his mood (the bn i see is a female and i can't sex the flash).

bmuckluck
One thing I'm curious is why you selected those three pleco - is it colouring, diet, disposition ? There is for the example the flash pleco (l204) which is mostly vegetarian and only grows to 5 inch. Then there is the false zebra pleco (l129) which seems similar in diet to the three you mentioned and there is the false zebra pleco (l127) and so fourth. I think there are several hundred to choose from.
I selected based on the requirements I have listed & mostly size & coloration, and only the ones my LFS usually stocks

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kuhlkid
Replies
Views
A201
  • Question
Replies
Views
WagglePets
Replies