Pleco "eating" Spiny Eel Alive?

1. Braydens Bettas

Braydens Bettas Valued Member Member

I recently picked up my first Peacock Eel. He developed these 2 spots on him where it seems that his skin has disaperaed. Gone. No scaring or any signs of fungal or bacterial infection. I've been medicating with some melafix I got from work. (I work at my LFS) I'll have images of it this afternoon but I may have realised what is causing these sores. The eel shares a cave with my 3.5inch peppermint bristlenose and I think that the pleco may be sucking on his body while he sleeps to the point where my eel has no skin on a circle of his body about 2cm in diameter. If this isnt happening what could have cause this "rotting" of the skin?

Also would a standard 2ft tank be ok if I had to remove him

2. Meowmy

Meowmy New Member Member

Plecos are notorious for sucking the slime coat off of neighbors if they aren't fed well (and if they can keep up with their victim)... That may be what happened to your eel and those "skin holes" would be sores from the sucking; the truth is these sores are vulnerable to infection.

3. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Do you have any other fish in the tank? What kind of substrate are you using? What are the parameters also

It isn't impossible that the pleco is sucking his slime coat; they only really do that if they are starved/hungry, and it's one of those things were even if you do feed him, he may revert to his habitat. They are generally pretty peaceful guys.

As for Melafix, it's a sort of tonic that could help, with a smaller dosage, but I would not rely on it. I would separate the eel immediately and put him in QT and maintain pristine water for his body to naturally to heal (meaning daily or at least, every other day WC). If he must be removed, the 2ft tank will be fine temporarily But they need a lot more space to move around eventually.

And do you have pics? It's kinda hard to guess at what might be happening. It may be the pleco, but it could be something else.

4. OP
    OP
    Braydens Bettas

Braydens Bettas Valued Member Member

Thanks for the help.
    His breathing was extremely heavy so Last night I put him into a very large breeder net with lots of plants to test if it got any better without the pleco being able to access him. Shortly after this he went belly up and was still breathing very heavy. Within 2 hours after me adding him into this breeder net he had unfortunately Died. The infection had gotten too much for him.
    -
    Since this tank is rather empty now im going to start another thread very soon to get some help on how to finish stocking this tank.

5. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

:( I'm sorry he passed.

6. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Oh no :(. I'm really sorry about him