Pleco Disease: White Patches And Black Spots

IKM

Reaction score
Hi, my pleco has got something on her tummy which is not ick, fungi or fin rot. How can I help her? What other info may be needed? It started a couple days ago. We bought a couple of snails and another pleco a couple days ago in a nice store...
48645928117_0ca85f0565_b.jpg

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sometimes Plecos get white patches on them when the water parameters are less than perfect. In particular elevated ammonia levels. Another possibility is a damaged slimecoat. The pictured Pleco might be fighting with the new pleco, scraping its underside on the substrate.
Might dose StressGuard and see if that helps heal her up.

OurFirstTimeFishy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Pleco will change to a lighter colour when other fish they feel threatened are around, is that the only fish inside your tank? What are the permaiters, you say you got another pleco is that one in the same tank as this one or no? It could be either the pleco feels threatened or the water isnt as good as it seems

IKM

Reaction score
Hi,
Water is okay according to the strip (everything is in safe zone), but the older (injured) pleco looks much lighter that the new one. There are 5 tetras and 3 corydoras as well in 30 gallon tank. Changing 1/4 water bi-weekly. Others are not stressed, no visible injuries or similar patterns. It must be injuries then, I saw her attacking a new pleco couple days ago. I added 15 ml stress coat, according to the instruction. Thanks so much for advice, will update soon!

Can you post your water parameters? My guess is injury as well, what size tank is this and what kind of plecos are they?
brittlenoses, we had an undiagnosed infection in the tank a few months ago, but treated it successfully with polyguard. I thought it it was another outbreak or something

Sometimes Plecos get white patches on them when the water parameters are less than perfect. In particular elevated ammonia levels. Another possibility is a damaged slimecoat. The pictured Pleco might be fighting with the new pleco, scraping its underside on the substrate.
Might dose StressGuard and see if that helps heal her up.
Thanks. Added a stress coat will check tomorrow. I could not imagine that they can fight so badly

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi,
Water is okay according to the strip (everything is in safe zone), but the older (injured) pleco looks much lighter that the new one. There are 5 tetras and 3 corydoras as well in 30 gallon tank. Changing 1/4 water bi-weekly. Others are not stressed, no visible injuries or similar patterns. It must be injuries then, I saw her attacking a new pleco couple days ago. I added 15 ml stress coat, according to the instruction. Thanks so much for advice, will update soon!
Putting 2 common plecos in a tank together is not a great idea. They will fight, and they will compete for food. If those are common plecos, they really need to be in bigger tanks. A 30 gallon tank is way too small for one common pleco let alone two. They can reach 15 or more inches at adulthood. I had one in a 150 gallon that was 17 inches long when he died in a tank accident (tank rupture). I believe your plecos may be fighting and those scars may be evidence of that.

IKM

Reaction score
Putting 2 common plecos in a tank together is not a great idea. They will fight, and they will compete for food. If those are common plecos, they really need to be in bigger tanks. A 30 gallon tank is way too small for one common pleco let alone two. They can reach 15 or more inches at adulthood. I had one in a 150 gallon that was 17 inches long when he died in a tank accident (tank rupture). I believe your plecos may be fighting and those scars may be evidence of that.
Bristlenoses are max ~5 inches and not considered too aggressive

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would highly recommend you get away from using test strips and invest in an API Master Test Kit for Freshwater. Test strips are notorious for being inaccurate, and let's face it, if you can't trust yout test results, why bother testing? I think it will be important for you to have accurate test results since you will have two plecos in the tank. Pleco's are heavy waste producers, and will create a lot of ammonia (so you'll want to be sure your ammonia is staying at 0ppm) which will result in a lot of nitrates, so you'll want to know how large a water change you need to due and how frequent to do them in order to keep those nitrates under 20ppm

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bristlenoses are max ~5 inches and not considered too aggressive
Okay, I couldn't tell that was a bristlenose. I was referring to Commons just in case.... However, the fact that you had just added another pleco to the tank before the white patches appeared is suspect, no?
I was also wondering about those obvious raised black spots you mentioned that are on your Plecos belly. Could they be a parasite? If so, could the affected pleco be rubbing her belly (and injuring the skin) on objects because of the irritation of the parasitic cysts?
"Black Spot - Black Ick (diplopstomiasis)
Symptoms: The fish, very irritated, scrapes itself against objects, appears as small black specks or smudges on the body and around the mouth, and if heavily infected may experience blood loss."
Fish Disease and Treatment
Just a thought.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom