pleco died...need a replacement algea eater

1. maybet Initiate Member

:'( It's a real bummer. I realized after I got him that he was sick, and that he was how all my other fishies got ick. He was covered in it, and even though my other fish were getting better and loosing the spots he wasn't. From being on this website I realize that he wasn't a good fish for my tank, I also under stand the concept of quarentine now.
    However, he kept my tank so clean, and now I need to know what kind of other fish I should get to keep the algea down in my tank. I have a 10 gallon, with a betta and six neons. Anyone have any suggestions???

Thanx in advance
    MB

2. vin Well Known Member Member

Otocinclus.

According to what I've read and friends who have them, they stay small, under 2" so you may need more than one depending upon the size of your tank. It's my understanding that they're very peaceful and effective at cleaning.

3. maybet Initiate Member

thanks vin...I checked them out on this website and it sounds perfect,except it recommends a 20 gallon or larger tank, so that won't work. :-\

Someone here said that they had a dwarf? pleco, but I forgot what it was called? I am trying to find the post.

4. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear about your pleco.. :(

The only thing I can think of that will help clean ur tank and is suitable is a couple of snails, some people like them, some don't - I am one of the people who doesn't but I do hear that they do a very nice job in the cleaning dept.

5. dahly Member Member

I have a clown pleco that gets to about 4" and he/she does a great job on the algae. Pretty fish too! You'll need a small piece of driftwood for it to chew on and hide under too! Sorry for your loss.

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

In the ten gallon a couple of otos are about as big as you can go. Otos need really clean water and is one of the reasons for the 20 g recommendation. So you would have to keep your water changes and testing up. They do a great job keeping a tank algae free.
    Carol

7. maybet Initiate Member

thanks...I plan on waiting until the Ick is completely gone before introducing any new fish. It will give me time to do research. There isn't a picture of one in the profile section...what does an oto look like?? And what about a cory cat?? Thier profile looks like they would be compatible in my tank...any opinions?

8. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

I really like the Sterba's Cory Cats.. They are so interesting looking, and only get up to 2" maximum :)

9. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Corys don't eat algae. Heres a picture of an oto ;)
    Carol

Attached Files:

10. Maida_gc Member Member

I wouldn't give up on Plecos. A bristlenose stays fairly small, and as you know, work their butts off.

11. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Yes bristlenose do an excellent job in the algae area but at five inches are still a little big for a ten gallon ;)
    Carol

12. maybet Initiate Member

Thanks for all the info and the pic. I loved that my pleco kept my tank so clean. Clean water is not an issue in my tank, I am anal about it. So maybe the oto is the way to go...could I get more than one? Two would be my max I think. I lost a neon yesterday. He was the one that was missing an eye. Weirdest thing I was checking out my fish one day (three weeks ago) and noticed his eye was completly missing. I am impressed he lasted so long. He was definately weak thou because after all my other fish lost the ick spots he didn't, I guess he couldn't fiight it off. I had a major set back in treating the ick. We had a power failure due to a snow storm and the temp in my house dropped to almost 50 degrees (F) and the temp in my tank dropped below 70(F). I thought I was going to loose all my fish, they were all on the bottom, there teeth chattering away (hee hee). But only the pleco and one neon didn't make it. The ick started to reappear on my neons, but I gradually raised the temp back up and it is clearing up again. I feel so bad for my poor fishies. :-[

13. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

I have 3 ottos in a 5 gallon and 2 in a 3 gallon with a Betta in each with them and they are doing their jobs just fine. They need supplement feedings of veggie disks or algae wafers about every other day (not more often or they get lazy and don't do their jobs). They are darling little fish that hardly ever go over an inch in length and the females are larger than the males. I am betting I have a female in there somewhere, but pray I don't have fry as I am scared to death of breeding anything. I am not equiped and my Bettas are too curious and probably would make quick work of them. Them believe me I would feel very guilty. They are nocturnal creatures and they can scare you to death if you have any fish that give them a hard time for they disappear all day and aren't seen and you wonder if they have gone off and died, but they are usually blended with a piece of driftwood or a plant (way down inside or hanging on the bottom of a leaf) or on the roof of a cave. The only thing to worry about is if they start hanging inside of the heater screen because they don't seem to have the sense to move if it starts to get hot.

Rose
    :D

14. vin Well Known Member Member

Carol - Are you sure Corys don't eat algae? Mine LOVE algae tablets......I give 1/4 tablet once a week as a treat to the swordtails and the corys are all over it! :)

15. dahly Member Member

Cory's eat what's on the bottom of the tank, either in flake or crumbles. They do not specifically eat algae off of tank walls, decorations, rocks or plants. Pleco's rule! :D

16. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Plecos do rule!! i NEVER have to clean my tank

17. Jon Well Known Member Member

cories definately dont eat algae... neither do the misnamed chinese algae eaters...

Ottos are great and so are siamese algae eaters if you can find them... amano shrimp also eat most algaes. The latter 2 are difficult to find at times.

Another fish that eats algae is the live plant... actually its not a fish but if you have enough plants you wont have as much algae lol.

18. vin Well Known Member Member

That's odd. Mine scour not only the bottom but every decoration and plant for any stitch of anything. And litterally chase the algae tablet. I don't have too much natutal algae,  but I'm still going through water issues. I do have diatoms, which the corys seem to scour off of the decorations, though not nearly as efficiently as an oto or pleco would. I know they're not considered an algae eater, but the are homnivors. :)

19. Jon Well Known Member Member

yes they are omnivorous but they are not renowned for algae eating and i do not believe that they are "scouring" for algae when you see them... they are probably scouring for bits of uneaten food which is a good reason to have cories... they dont increase the bio-load of your tank as much as other fish because they eat other food that would in turn become nitrate if left at the bottom.

PS- bought 2 juli cories for my tank today

20. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

They are definately good for the cleaning up of uneaten food on the bottom of the tank, but all fishes definately increases bioload.