Pleco Cross Breeding - I'm Just Curious....

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by angeltank, Jul 22, 2019.

1. angeltank

angeltankValued MemberMember

Hopefully one day I'll have a pair like this, so I'm just curious: What would be the results of an albino longfin and super red normal fin bn breeding?

And also just to make sure I'm assuming correctly: these are just two color Morphs of the exact same species, right?

2. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

They're the same species and just different colors, if it's a male and female there shouldn't be much reason they wouldn't breed. @tfreema or @Mcasella might be able to give you a few ideas of offspring

3. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

You will get brown offspring unless one or the other has a recessive gene for albino or red needed for the genetics to match up. Depending on the long fins genetics you may get all long fin (long fin must have two genes of long fin) or 50/50 (long fin will only have one long fin gene).
    You cannot get long fins from short fin parents, any short fins produce from long fins have two short fin genes. Short fins sold as "having long fin genes" because they came from long fin parents are not long fins nor do they have long fin genes. Long fin gene is dominant and will show on the long fin parent, only time it doesn't is when the fins get nipped/eroded below where it would be considered long fin and the gene doesn't activate in the regrowth.

4. OP
    OP
    angeltank

Thank you! Was hoping maybe I'd get a red lf, as that's the fish I'm actually wanting but haven't seen any for sale. Maybe I could keep my eyes peeled for long fin carrying the red gene? That would change the outcome, right?

5. OP
    OP
    angeltank

Don't answer this bc you already have. Sorry!!!

6. Mcasella

You can breed the siblings to each other or back to the red (using a long fin baby) to produce long fin reds, you would want to select two long fin babies for better long fin results (25% would be long fin homozygous, 50% would be heterozygous long fin, and 25% would be short fin). You can also look for a long fin dirty red or red marble to breed for long fin reds as red and red marble (or calico) are close enough to produce clean reds (genetically the same for the red gene, just some have a marbled or patterning to them).

7. OP
    OP
    angeltank

True. Wasn't sure if what the sibling crossing thing was ok with fish or not.

8. Mcasella

That is how most traits are set in fish, either sibling crosses or parent/offspring crosses. Some people will make the effort to make the crosses less close to avoid bringing out unwanted traits (like a shortened spine) like crossing cousin fish or even having several lines of the same fish but kept separate except when breeding.

9. OP
    OP
    angeltank

Makes perfect sense! Thank you for your time and all the helpful info! Btw I love your profile beta. (?looks like a beta- sorry if incorrect.)Very pretty, regardless. Love the black!

10. Mcasella

That was George, Gorgeous george after the X-men villain.

11. OP
    OP
    angeltank

Very appropriate name for that handsome dude!

12. tfreema

tfreemaFishlore VIPMember

Mcasella to the rescue again with some gene pool information!!