pleco compatibility

1. joe Member Member

what fish would go well with a pleco?

2. fishfreak Member Member

any fish for now but what size tank do u have he will get to 1-2 feet over the years, as he gets older an bigger he will leave more waste, u put more hardier fish like dinos

3. joe Member Member

i have a 20 - 30 gallon tank i'm not sure. I'm going to get a small pleco.

4. fletch Member Member

plecos generaly arent small for long. mines grown an inch in 2 months. you can put any fish apart from large fin nippers in there. and even then i dont think theyd be fast enough to catch the plec

5. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Fletch is right. Most plecos you see in the stores don't stay small for long, and if they are just labeled as a small pleco, then it's probably a common pleco which can get 18 inches long! Look for plecos labeled as bristlenose plecos and if your tank is 30 gallons, you could probably get 2 of them. If you tank is 20 gallons, just get one. Most bristlenose plecos will get around 6 inches. The bigger ones get very clumsy as they get bigger and will terrorize a smaller tank. I have one over a foot long, and he's in a 100 gal. tank. Even in that size tank, he can make a mess and tear up the tank! A good place to research different types of plecos is www.planetcatfish.com . the catfish of the month articles are great reads, and will probably give you some great ideas on some plecos for your tank.