Pleco coloration!!

phxcyots22

Reaction score
Ok, so one of my Plecos (Have 2) often has some weird color on him.  He will be normal one day, then the morning next, he has patches of faded color on him, then in a few days, its back to normal.  Its been off and on a while now, sometimes its got a reddish/orangish tint to it.  The other Pleco maybe sometimes has a very slight fade in areas, but for the most part is fine.  The other fish in the tank don't seem to have any problems.  I havn't changed anything in the tank and do a 25% change once a week with a gravel cleaning.  55 Gal tank, one pleco is about 5 inches, the afflicted Pleco about 7 inches. What could be the cause?  Thanks!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most Plecos change colors at different times of day, depending on the object or substrate their laying on, when they eat, if their stressed etc. It's really more noticeable on dark or solid colored Plecos.
Are tehy both eating well? Getting plenty of veggie? Do you know what kind they are?
Carol

phxcyots22

Reaction score
Im sure they are getting plenty to eat, a mix of some cucumber, driftwood, algae waffers and whatever reaches the bottom the others miss. They are a darker color, like a dark grey, almost black, with a tint of red on the design of the skin surface. They move normal and show no other signs of anything wrong, so I guess theyre just doing it on their own. Never had any other sikness issues with the exception of a small Ich problem with my balas, which was cured rather quickly with a slight temperature raise.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like natural coloration changes
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom