Pleco/Bull fish advice please.

Abettalife

Hi, I need some advice about a pleco I have just purchased, It was labelled as a bull fish, max size 5inches (12cm) on getting home I phoned the lfs for more info and was told it’s a L187. I did some Googling and there is lots of conflicting info! I think it’s a spotted rubberlip pleco L187a. Can you guys identify it and give me max size, required tank size etc. it’s a baby and currently in a 75 litre, I have a 200L which is not set up yet but will be a future home, so would like to know around what size I need to move him/her. Thanks.
It’s a 90 litre tank with 75 litres actual volume.

Attachments

• 436F542B-19FF-47DA-9DD2-5501E678272C.jpeg
    436F542B-19FF-47DA-9DD2-5501E678272C.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 64790147-3DC9-4853-B470-E42155C130FB.jpeg
    64790147-3DC9-4853-B470-E42155C130FB.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 2AE551D2-2F60-4B08-AEE2-E195EC622363.jpeg
    2AE551D2-2F60-4B08-AEE2-E195EC622363.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 23

MacZ

Definitely a Chaetostoma sp. Can't tell the exact species from the top of my head. I'm also leaning more towards an ID as L445.

Chaetostoma sp. (Spotted Bulldog Plec, L187a) — Seriously Fish
Chaetostoma sp. (L445) • Loricariidae • Cat-eLog
Chaetostoma joropo (L 445) - L-numbers database - Welsfans

What I can give you as a general help:
The whole genus is adapted to fast flowing waters, which are oxygen rich and often a bit cooler (22-25°C) than what you find in Colombia otherwise. They also prefer mostly soft acidic water.
I find them very much displaced in a community tank.

Abettalife

Definitely a Chaetostoma sp. Can't tell the exact species from the top of my head. I'm also leaning more towards an ID as L445.

Chaetostoma sp. (Spotted Bulldog Plec, L187a) — Seriously Fish
Chaetostoma sp. (L445) • Loricariidae • Cat-eLog
Chaetostoma joropo (L 445) - L-numbers database - Welsfans

What I can give you as a general help:
The whole genus is adapted to fast flowing waters, which are oxygen rich and often a bit cooler (22-25°C) than what you find in Colombia otherwise. They also prefer mostly soft acidic water.
I find them very much displaced in a community tank.
Thank you, it’s does look more like the L445, oxygen rich is not an issue I currently have the temp at 26c so I will drop it down a degree. My ph is 7.5 so I’m hoping this won’t cause any health issues. What tank environment would you advise?

MacZ

What tank environment would you advise?
A biotope tank for sure, most likely a species tank.
As described in the links: Rounded rocks, maybe some botanicals and leaf litter, fine sand, strong current. Plants - if any - most likely just emersed like pothos and the like, to draw nitrates from the water.
Here two examples I would deem fitting well.

20220514_133609.jpg
20220514_134102.jpg

Abettalife

I will get more rocks, I have pothos already in there and sand substrate, I was going to move everything from this tank to the 200L, at what size should I move the pleco over?

Attachments

• EA5BBA84-59CE-46E5-A7CF-8C04E3F3DE8D.jpeg
    EA5BBA84-59CE-46E5-A7CF-8C04E3F3DE8D.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 5

DoubleDutch

Please be aware these fish are mote carnivorious than info tells you.
Kept mine in an unheated Corytank with a powerhead.

MacZ

I will get more rocks, I have pothos already in there and sand substrate, I was going to move everything from this tank to the 200L
Then move everything over to the 200 liter tank, leave the sand, add a good layer of rocks, install a powerhead and you're done. The fish can stay in the current tank until you can setup a longer one, maybe a 100x50x40.

I strongly suggest not to keep it in a community tank.

DoubleDutch

BTW : it isn't a baby. It is probably as big as it will get.

Abettalife

BTW : it isn't a baby. It is probably as big as it will get.
Oh okay so, what is the required litres for him/her.

I’m going to have a rethink, I really didn’t want two tanks, I’ve just slimmed down from 4, but if need be I will give him his own tank. I feel a little annoyed with fish store, I know about the fish I already own but trusted the employee as I knew nothing about plecos but always was drawn to them in the shop, I was in there getting Julii corydoras and got ahead of myself. I guess I’ve learnt a lesson.
Is there any chance it’s not an l445? Before I go researching all about them.

MacZ

Oh okay so, what is the required litres for him/her.
until you can setup a longer one, maybe a 100x50x40.
Don't go by volume. Go by dimensions. ;)
Is there any chance it’s not an l445? Before I go researching all about them.
All Chaetostoma live roughly in the same habitat type. Most applies to all of them.

Abettalife

Okay the tank it’s in is 60x40x38 high, how long will he be okay here until I can get an area sorted for the 200l and buy another tank for him?

MacZ

If the fish is alone and conditions are close to optimal it will last some 2-4 months. Try not to exhaust that timeframe.
Okay the tank it’s in is 60x40x38 high, how long will he be okay here until I can get an area sorted for the 200l and buy another tank for him?

Abettalife

Thank you, you have been a great help.

MacZ

You're welcome, always glad when things work out for fish and owner.

Abettalife

From the info on seriously fish they reach around 5inches, I just measured him/her at nearly 2.5inches. Is it a stunted pleco or younger than you thought?

DoubleDutch

It's not stunted. Could be it is younger but mine never reached 5 inch, neither the ones I saw in the LFS.
Could be certain species get slightly bigger.

Their habitat (Or did MacZ allready placed the link ?)

MacZ

Their habitat (Or did MacZ allready placed the link ?)
Nope, haven't posted any videos.

And I agree: As these fish are 99% wild caught it's not unusual they don't reach the known maximum size. Also the genus is in dire need of revision, so the actual species is always more of a guess. It may reach 9-10cm in a year or two, but I doubt it will reach full 12.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bijou88
Replies
Views
FreshAtFreshwater
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views