Pleco Algae Eater?

1. honeyooo Member Member

Hi All,

Well we lost our Pleco....his(my sons) favorite fish and he is heartbroken. Working on getting rid of the Ich now. But now I need to know...what is the difference between an algae eater and a Pleco? I know we cant have another Pleco because we only have a 10 gal tank so what can we get that is like a Pleco? He is going to want another fish like that so I thought I would ask the experts here!! Thanks all!!!

PS......we have Zebra Danios and they are small...hes asking for another Molly and Platy...is that doable since the Zebras are so small?

R.I.P. Nikki......bless her little heart!!

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Plecos *are* algae eaters :p

Though, I assume you mean like SAE's and CAE's and Otto's such? Plecos have wide, flat heads, and their sucker mouths blend into the shape of the head. "Algae eaters" have long, thin bodies, and their mouths, when viewed from the side, are clearly distinguishable from their heads.

I really hope that made sense >.<

3. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

You must not have seen the pic of my BN's 8 inch long father. :;nin2

5. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Wait what?

6. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Yuppers. He's a beast. Mom is only 5 inches or so, though, and my girl seems to have topped at 4 or 5 inches. Still, a 10 gallon is no place for a BN. A clown, maybe, if you wanted to keep up on the water changes, and don't mind cleaning up driftwood from the gravel all the time.

7. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

I was gonna get one for my 20 gallon I didn't know they got that big.hmm can I put one on a 20?

8. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Your zebras should be in a larger tank. They need room to zoom.

Base your purchases on the adult size of whatever species of fish you choose.

I personally would not recommend a bristlenose pleco for this size tank. I think it's just too small.

Why don't you interest your son in things like red cherry shrimp? I have a 16 gallon RCS community tank and with all the baby shrimp zooming around, it reminds me of all the space vehicles in the Jetsons cartoon way back when. I think that would be an amazing tank for a kid and really easy to keep, too.

9. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Maybe a school of ottos.

10. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

But many otos won't eat anything but natural food and keeping enough algae in a 10 gallon would be a struggle. And you shouldn't keep a single oto.

11. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

RCS are neat little things :)

12. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Yea they are very fun to watch there like monkeys on plants. Try to get some then you'll see :D

13. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry to hear that you lost the little guy.

Sadly, there aren't many algae eaters that do well in a 10g tank.
    Otos can work, but the fact that nitrates can build up quickly in a small tank combined with the fact that they can't always find food often ends up meaning they don't do well. Chinese algae eaters grow far too large for a 10g. Almost all of the truly small plecos are actually carnivores.

Perhaps your son would enjoy cherry shrimp, as suggested above. They won't keep the tank perfectly spotless, but few critters will. A bit of elbow grease now and then will get what the shrimp don't. It is really cool to watch them swarm over a shrimp pellet.

14. honeyooo Member Member

Thanks everyone. The Zebras were an option I found on here for a 10 gal tank. There were about 9 different fish that were grouped for starter fish for small tanks like ours. And yes, I do know what you mean.....they do zoom all over the tank. They are about a half inch long, maybe a bit longer at this point. Tetras were on the list as well and we got 2 of those but they died on Sunday. The shrimp freak me out. Im afraid they will try to climb out of the tank. We have a cover and light but there is a spot in the back where it could possibly get out if it tried too......will it try to escape??

15. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Cherry shrimp don't climb. They won't willingly leave the water, as far as I know. They are fully aquatic creatures, unlike many crabs. I don't think escape is a concern. I know that I've never had any leave my tanks.

16. honeyooo Member Member

ok, may have to look in to those. My son was partial to the little shrimp so maybe we will get a few. They still freak me out though lolll

17. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Mine would have ample opportunity to escape the 16 gallon and they've never tried.

You won't regret it. It will be a great experience for your son and the best part is, he'll keep getting more baby shrimp all the time. It will be an easy care tank and honestly, you don't really have to worry about anything with these shrimp like you do with various fish species.

18. honeyooo Member Member

What do you mean he will keep getting baby shrimp? Obviously you are talking about them reproducing but Im not familiar with these shrimp ...do they come pregnant when you get them??lollll

19. stashattack Member Member

It's not so much that they come pregnant, but they are like livebearers in the sense that they are very easy to bread and you can't really stop them :p But from what I've heard they hardly add any bio load so having tons of them shouldn't be a concern :)

20. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I completely agree on some shrimp! Depending on what other fish you have you could always get some ghost shrimp they are always readily available at most pet stores and lfs. There are only RCS near me once in a blue moon.

I love the cherrys more but maybe your son would get a kick out of the see through shrimp, I had some for a while and loved them until they decided to attack my betta.