please - what is this in the tank ? Photos inc. Did our molly lose her babies? Help

Discussion in 'Molly' started by HOWsMom, Mar 18, 2010.

1. HOWsMom

HOWsMom Well Known Member Member

What are these ? Okay - I think I might know what they are, but I so do not want them to be what I'm afraid they are. :(

Did our Dalmation molly (Salt) lose her babies ?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  2. s

shellbell4ever Well Known Member Member

It does look like what you think :( I am sorry :(

3. OP
    OP
    HOWsMom

Should I do anything for her ? Is something wrong ? This is probably why she was acting odd yesterday, isn't it ? Is she going to live ?

Sorry - this particular aspect hits extremely close to home at the moment, and I know that I'm likely over-reacting.

4. t

timmygt33 Valued Member Member

They look under developed so perhaps some sort of stress caused her to give birth too early eg major water change, temp change, water parameters.

Some times these sort of things just happen.
    Cant tell you if she will live or die from that alone.

Is it her first lot of babies??

Does she look stressed at all?

5. OP
    OP
    HOWsMom

We've had her less than a week, so I don't know if this was her first litter or not.

I have been doing some fairly large water changes, as we lost one of her tankmates earlier this week, and have seen a mini-cycle start up as well. So, changing out about 30-50% each day.

She is in a 10g with 1 male dal. molly, 4 fry, and a few ghost shrimp (4 or 5 I think).

Today's params :
    Temp : 78F
    Ammonia : 0
    Nitrite : 0.25

I didn't test for Nitrates, but our tap water has 5ppm to start with.

I use Prime as our water conditioner.

They're fed a flake food called   by Omega One.

6. t

timmygt33 Valued Member Member

Hmm, not too sure.
    Some times a move (as you have had her for a week) will cause stress and these type of things happen as a result.

Your levels look ok though nitrites being present indicate an incomplete or mini cycle.

Im assuming this is the case as you have recently lost another one too.

But on the same token, you might be doing everything wrong and they died from other causes, maybe existing illness, cant be sure.

I hope they get better soon.

Oh and sorry if this is a "der" type comment, but remove the dead ones as they will cause more ammonia when rotting and decaying.

7. OP
    OP
    HOWsMom

No worries - the molly who died was removed shortly after she was found.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice