Please welcome SPIKEY

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well I was able to get a crowntail betta from a lfs today, looks really healthy too, surprisingly clean cup too. My little sister named him spikey since it's her's. It's a male crown tail, with red tail fading to blue body, though no pics as I don't have a digital camera. He currently has a 2.5 gallon tank but might be getting a 5.5 gallon tank as they just went on sale and I might be selling his 2.5 gallon tank . He has a buetiful home with a crypt, some anarchis, and combamba, and a gentle filter. Right now I have frozen blood worms, betta pellets, omega one tropical and veggie flakes, freeze-dried tubliflex worms for food. I know the flakes shouldn't be fed much as they can't eat them as well as they can eat the pellets and the bloodworms not to much either. Is there any other food I should get him? I made sure this time the tank is cycled too, levels are all good.

Austin

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No, sounds good to me, let me know how many of the things he will eat. You have a good balanced diet for him, are you going to feed him peas too?

Congratulations, ATM. I know you have worked hard to get his home ready for him. I hope he does well and you enjoy him. He will love the new tank if you can get it.

Spikey, welcome to the Betta Board. My little guys, Alex and Marty welcome you too.

Rose

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tell me how to feed peas and I shall, I'll tell you what he says once he gets in his home as I'm going to go finish cleaning my large tanks and finish his acclimating period ;D.

austin

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You need FROZEN peas and it is quite simple.

Take one pea and put it on a saucer and NO WATER - microwave it 30 seconds or just to defrost it.

Skin the outside tough skin off.

Cut a small piece of the pea off (half the size of the fish's eye - tiny I know)

Cut that piece in 3 pieces and put a piece on your fingertip or a clean plastic spoon and slide it into the water. 

Before you do it though I would fast the little fish for 1 day so he is hungry and will eat the pea right away.  Sometimes if they are full of other food they will not eat the peas. Usually after the first time they eat them they will not need to be fasted, they will eat them right away because they like them. Just do not feed them peas at the same time as other food.

Any questions?

Rose

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok how do I peel it though, does it come right off? How often should I feed him these a week? Also He's in his tank now with no lights to get used to to, when should I feed him? He says thanks for the welcome and likes his new home.

Austin

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The outer peel on a frozen pea is VERY easy to remove. There a two little green pea halves inside. You will see what I mean the first time you do it. He should have this 2 times a week. He should have small meals 2 times a day and the pea is not a meal. When you give him a pea that is a TREAT. Feed 3 times that day.

Meals are:

Either 2or 3 pellets OR 6 or 7 worms NO MORE if you feed him more he is going to get constipated, I promise and he can die of constipation. He can have pellets in the morning and worms at night or pellets one day and worms another day but not both in the same meal.

Have fun with him and don't forget to talk to him and spend time with him to bring out his personality.

Rose

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok thank you very much, now I just have to convince my mom to let me get the 5.5 gallon tank that's on sale for him and he'l have tons of room and with all the plants he has he'l have a lot of exploring to do. Think He'l eat at 6.45 in the morning because that's when I leave the house for school?

Austin

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just keep us informed on how he is doing okay?

Rose

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds great ATM!! congrats!
Carol

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I am so happy for you ATM!  Hopefully you will be able to get that new tank.  Spikey will love it.  I need to get more plants for my little guys.  It sounds like your tank is beautiful.

CherryRose

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ya it isn't near what I'd like it to be, I'm going to try and get a few more pants over xmass break. He's survived almost a day now and doing pretty good.

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi Spikey!  I think you'll like your new home.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He says yes.

I'm having a hard time feeding him. He won't eat freeze-dried tubiflex worms, wardley betta bites, omega one veggie and tropical flakes. Only thing he would eat was part of a pea. I haven't tried frozen blood worms yet though he can't have that as his only food. He ate the pellet the spit it back out and ate a flake then spat it back out shredded. Should I try a different type of pellets, or crush up the flakes more, what else can I try? Sorry feeding betta's is not a strong point and I need some help.

Thanks

Austin

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ATM,

The Wardley pellets are too big for them to swallow. The only pellets that I have found that are actually small enough for bettas are the Hikari Betta Bio-gold (which are sold everywhere) and the Ocean Nutrition Atison's Betta Formula and Betta Pro Pellets (both are smaller than the Bio-gold and are suitable for baby bettas as well as adults)

If you feed the Betta Bio-gold he should have 2-3 pellets for a meal but with the Atison's pellets they are tiny and he could have 5-6 pellets for a meal. (If he is full-grown, if not then he should only have 3 pellets but eat more often)

I am glad that he will eat the pea. That is a good sign. You will be able to keep him healthy if you keep up with the pea routine and regular fish care.

Rose

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
all right, thank you very much, I'll try and get some asap, will bloodworms be sufficient till I can?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, if he will eat them. Just watch how many you give him. They are very rich and I do not know how old he is. He needs the protein to grow if he is young but he also needs to have his greedy little appetite controlled a bit. No more than 6 or so per meal.
(and the peas are even more important with him eating bloodworms or tubifex although bettas will not usually eat tubifex)

Rose

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Nice job Austin! You sure thought and worked this out perfectly. It sounds like Spikey is going to be one happy Betta! The advice here is so great.

Hi ((Spikey))

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well he's still living, that's good as the last two didn't do to well. I'm giving him bloodworms and I'm hoping tomorow night after going to my sisters concert we can stop at the petstore and pick up some food for him.

And the good news, I have two bids on my tank on another forum and I just might be able to get the 5.5 gallon tank

Yes the advice is good thanks a lot to Rose and other members too, it sure helps having people specializing in certain fish, and yes I made sure I had the stuff right this time but didn't realize I had bad food, o well wardley isn't good anyways, I was just using it as a substitue for a week but that didn't work out.

Good Job Rose we all appreciate your willigness to help us with our bettas with your knowledge of them, and can't foreget the otos and now cories.

Austin

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks, ATM, but it is not a hard thing when you love doing it.

I am so happy that SPIKEY is doing well.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom