Please stop merging replies & comments

Is anybody else bothered by merged threads? When they are not really related?

• Yes but understand why Bc people want to increase posting numbers for trophies

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • Yes and most people aren’t actually trying to build numbers right?

Votes: 12 34.3%

• Total voters

KribensisLover1

Please?

Mike

Might have been a mistake? Do you have an example?

veggieshark

Mike said:
Might have been a mistake? Do you have an example?
I thought back to back posts were automatically merged. Is that not the case?

Mike

The title of the thread says to stop merging "threads". Posts are different than threads and yes back to back posts within 4 hours get merged.

KribensisLover1

Mike said:
The title of the thread says to stop merging "threads". Posts are different than threads and yes back to back posts within 4 hours get merged.
[/QUOTE

Yes I apologize I will edit that. I'm so sorry HUGE difference. I just know that sometimes I'll comment something completely different to one person than to another, and when put together (esp if I haven't hit reply so it's just in the same comments) it looks super silly. I also think a lot of people don't read long posts/comments, and when people see multiple replies in one long comment, the specific replies (if they are merged later so are at the end) may get overlooked. I know I overlook them at least! Also, I don't know how to multi quote so I wind up not replying, just tagging people, and that can be confusing. Can you perhaps let me know where to find how to do that? Thank you and BEST site ever so not mean to complain.
Also I can't edit the original name of this post (to say replies and comments instead of threads) so can you please edit it?

Coradee

KribensisLover1 said:
Also I can't edit the original name of this post (to say replies and comments instead of threads) so can you please edit it?
Done

veggieshark

Mike said:
I think I assumed that it was already replies and comments because I know (at least that's what I remember) Kriblover complained about this before. I should have read the title more carefully.

On the topic, whether posts are merged or not doesn't matter that much to me. I can see it both ways.

JettsPapa

I voted No. I don't see a problem with merging them. As I believe has been explained before, it's easy enough to quote multiple posts and reply to each in the same post, so I don't see any reason for multiples back to back.

mattgirl

I guess I've not noticed a problem. I have even asked from time to time to have threads merged. Specifically if there are several threads pertaining to the same subject. Once all the threads are merged we have all the information in one thread instead of having to keep asking the same questions on each thread or having to find and read each of the other threads.

Sometimes there is a question ask that wasn't in the first or second or third thread but all of the questions still pertain to the same tank or the same issue. It makes it a lot easier to help when all the information is in one place so I do appreciate these things being merged into one thread.

I do realize when a post is edited or if the second post is merged, that change doesn't send out an alert that something has changed and could occasionally cause us to miss a reply. That is the only downside I can see with merged or edited posts. Maybe I am missing other issues.

Dippiedee

mattgirl said:
I do realize when a post is edited or if the second post is merged, that change doesn't send out an alert that something has changed and could occasionally cause us to miss a reply. That is the only downside I can see with merged or edited posts. Maybe I am missing other issues.
This is the only downside to it. If the people receiving notifications for a thread still received a notification for a merged post then I'd see no problem with it.

If anything I find the merge quite handy; instead of editing and waiting a solid 5 minutes for my post to load so I can change it, I just post a new reply and it adds to my post for me.

KribensisLover1

mattgirl said:
I guess I've not noticed a problem. I have even asked from time to time to have threads merged. Specifically if there are several threads pertaining to the same subject. Once all the threads are merged we have all the information in one thread instead of having to keep asking the same questions on each thread or having to find and read each of the other threads.

Sometimes there is a question ask that wasn't in the first or second or third thread but all of the questions still pertain to the same tank or the same issue. It makes it a lot easier to help when all the information is in one place so I do appreciate these things being merged into one thread.

Yes that's exactly what it is that I don't like. I write so fast and always forget to add something! And editing means people miss. Perhaps I should learn to collect my darn thoughts Lolol!! I wish they would notify that it was edited.
Dippiedee said:
This is the only downside to it. If the people receiving notifications for a thread still received a notification for a merged post then I'd see no problem with it.

But with that said, now its 4 hours instead of 24 hours I don't think even that is a big deal anymore. You can bump your own thread after 4 hours instead of 24 (which was one of the down sides before) which is a perfectly reasonable time frame IMO

If anything I find the merge quite handy; instead of editing and waiting a solid 5 minutes for my post to load so I can change it, I just post a new reply and it adds to my post for me.
That's a great point. My issue is what I commented below (or rather in this thread rhat will be merged!) I don't know how to make it easier on moderators and quote two replies in one. I've tried to hit quote but doesn't work. I do think the merges are automatic though (and the moderators don't have to personally do them) Bc they happen so quickly. I'll post and get a notification within seconds.

Betta'sAnonymous

The last time i had posts merge even was because my wifi signal cut out at work for a second while posting and my phone keot switching back n forthe between mobile and wifi.. so i accidentally posted the same thing twice

StarGirl

It doesn't bother me I just wait for someone else to respond, or just edit it and wait for someone to respond.

mattgirl

KribensisLover1 said:
That's a great point. My issue is what I commented below (or rather in this thread rhat will be merged!) I don't know how to make it easier on moderators and quote two replies in one. I've tried to hit quote but doesn't work. I do think the merges are automatic though (and the moderators don't have to personally do them) Bc they happen so quickly. I'll post and get a notification within seconds.
Normally you can click "Quote" on each of the posts you want to quote. Once you do there should be a "Quote these messages" right under the reply box. Click it. it brings up a little message asking you if you want to quote these messages and tell it yes. They will now be in the reply box. Or simply click reply on each message you want to quote. Each one will be in the reply box.

Right, the forum is now set up to automatically merge double posts. I am sure it saves the mods a lot of work having to do it manually. It happens so quickly now I wouldn't think it would cause a problem with the alerts. By the time the message is merged an alert has just been sent.

ryanr

Dippiedee said:
You can bump your own thread after 4 hours instead of 24 (which was one of the down sides before) which is a perfectly reasonable time frame IMO
Please don't bump threads less than 24 hours old.
Firstly, it's not good forum etiquette.

Second, you're shooting yourself in the foot, those of us that monitor unanswered threads would miss your post because you've "answered" your own thread.

Third, sometimes you need to be patient with some topics and wait for the right person to come along to answer. With members all over the world, time zones start to get in the way. I can post something at 7pm my time, which is midnight in LA, and even later in the morning on the US east.

And a reminder, there's not many topics that haven't been covered on Fishlore. Searching the forum for answers can often reveal an answer before anyone replies to a thread.

Mightaswell

They only time this bothers me is when keeping a journal here. I post on the journal to keep track of exact times and it merges them together. I dont know why I cant post whenever I want when I want as a seperate post in my journal. I kind of like it on public question threads tho.

Dippiedee

ryanr said:
Please don't bump threads less than 24 hours old.
Firstly, it's not good forum etiquette.

Second, you're shooting yourself in the foot, those of us that monitor unanswered threads would miss your post because you've "answered" your own thread.

Third, sometimes you need to be patient with some topics and wait for the right person to come along to answer. With members all over the world, time zones start to get in the way. I can post something at 7pm my time, which is midnight in LA, and even later in the morning on the US east.

And a reminder, there's not many topics that haven't been covered on Fishlore. Searching the forum for answers can often reveal an answer before anyone replies to a thread.
Ok sorry for saying it

ryanr

Mightaswell said:
They only time this bothers me is when keeping a journal here. I post on the journal to keep track of exact times and it merges them together.
When establishing the 4 hours, we did consider journals/build threads and the like, that are progressive updates. We settled on 4 hours as being a reasonable compromise between what is likely to be an update, versus a back to back to post.

Let's see how the 4 hours pans out, if it needs to be changed, it can always be re-considered. For the moment, I would suggest for a build/journal update, within 4 hours, maybe add "Update date/time" at the beginning of the post/edit.

KribensisLover1

mattgirl said:
Normally you can click "Quote" on each of the posts you want to quote. Once you do there should be a "Quote these messages" right under the reply box. Click it. it brings up a little message asking you if you want to quote these messages and tell it yes. They will now be in the reply box. Or simply click reply on each message you want to quote. Each one will be in the reply box.

Right, the forum is now set up to automatically merge double posts. I am sure it saves the mods a lot of work having to do it manually. It happens so quickly now I wouldn't think it would cause a problem with the alerts. By the time the message is merged an alert has just been sent.
I will try this. Is this on a phone or a computer? And thank you!

Betta'sAnonymous

KribensisLover1 said:
I can do it on my phone, so should be able to on computer as well. Not sure i have ever accessed this site on a PC.

mattgirl

KribensisLover1 said:
On a computer. I'm not sure whether or not it is exactly the same on a phone. And you are very welcome

StarGirl

I do both and it is the same.

Janice1979

I agree with merging comments/reply’s being an issue. I responded to a thread last night, then after a few other people commented; I posted again to add to the conversation and agree/disagree with that new person was saying etc.... but my post was merged back with my last like 5 posts back in the conversation! Then, everyone else is pushed into the next page and my comments are still going back to that first one. It’s annoying and confusing, and I don’t think it’s helpful at all. Why not leave it as an option for the poster to merge or edit their reply posts in a thread?

mattgirl

Janice1979 said:
I agree with merging comments/reply’s being an issue. I responded to a thread last night, then after a few other people commented; I posted again to add to the conversation and agree/disagree with that new person was saying etc.... but my post was merged back with my last like 5 posts back in the conversation! Then, everyone else is pushed into the next page and my comments are still going back to that first one. It’s annoying and confusing, and I don’t think it’s helpful at all. Why not leave it as an option for the poster to merge or edit their reply posts in a thread?
I've not experienced this myself. I actually think it might be a glitch. What do you think Mike

Mike

Hmm, it should only merge back to back posts within 4 hours. If you make a post and someone responds afterwards then no merge should happen. Can you link a thread where this happened?

Fishproblem

ryanr said:
When establishing the 4 hours, we did consider journals/build threads and the like, that are progressive updates. We settled on 4 hours as being a reasonable compromise between what is likely to be an update, versus a back to back to post.

Let's see how the 4 hours pans out, if it needs to be changed, it can always be re-considered. For the moment, I would suggest for a build/journal update, within 4 hours, maybe add "Update date/time" at the beginning of the post/edit.
The four hour timeline entirely solved this problem for me when updating my build thread. And the issue of people gunning for VIP badges with a bazillion posts has really bothered me enough to make the merging worthwhile.

mimo91088

Fishproblem said:
The four hour timeline entirely solved this problem for me when updating my build thread. And the issue of people gunning for VIP badges with a bazillion posts has really bothered me enough to make the merging worthwhile.
Agreed. I really don't see any reason to be bothered by this unless you're only worrying about your post count.

V1K

I have never tried double posting as it was a big no-no in forums I've been before, so I haven't seen it in action, but I think merging is a brilliant solution. Instead of editing, you can just add another comment, guilt free, and it merges automatically, what's not to like. Unless the merging is flawed and, say, doesn't put the new comment in a new paragraph.

KribensisLover1

Not going to lie--you guys have fully convinced me I am WRONG. Truly. Not a big deal. Yes I edit my posts Bc I rethink but truth is I need to collect my OWN thoughts and not make that other peoples (and hard working mods) problem. Also if anybody hasn't seen the how to help fish lore check it out!
ALSO if this is merged--I also realized if I'm in a conversation and add to it later I can tag the person or people who I was talking to so I believe they will then get a new alert? Does this work mattgirl V1K Fishproblem ?!!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom