Please Share Your Water Storage Solutions

1. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

I've been thinking/dreaming of setting up a water storage system for water changes.

I've seen two different threads recently where the most likely cause of massive fish die-offs is unannounced municipal (tap) water spikes. Chlor, algaecide, pH, whatever. These terrify me. Partly because I think almost everyone assumes tap water is the same this week as it was last week, and so on, but also because some of the culprits wouldn't show up in normal testing even if we did it!

So for those of you that do this, what components and maintenance do your systems have? @Thunder_o_b I saw your reference to your 90gal storage system in another post, and rather than hijack that thread, I am posting here, so I obviously would love hear from you. Who else?

Do you filter (what type)? Aerate? Heat?
    Plumbing needs?
    Spill/leak protection?
    Startup and maintenance costs?
    RO/DI, or tap?
    What conditioners/treatments/remineralizers?
    Design considerations? Space? Placement?

What benefits do a system like this provide, for you? And why did you set it up in the first place (what problems or issues led you to this solution)?

What problems do you encounter in maintaining it? Does it keep water fresh? Do you have trouble temp matching for wc's? Any bact/fung/algae issues? Smell?

Please, include pics!!

Follow-up question: I'm particularly interested in going to RO/DI, but I hear that these flush up to 7x the water they provide. That seems high. Is it true? Are there ways around it?

Thanks!!

2. Goldfishfreak

Goldfishfreak Member Member

about the RO water wasting: yes its true but you can either buy it from a store and just test to make sure its good or get a zero waste system.
    do some research on the zero waste system if your interested. I use RO water in my tanks i just remineralize it before adding. I find it smells less than using tap water and adding dechlorinator and such. can't really answer any other questions as i just installed an RO system in my house and it works well so far.

Hope this helps and good luck!

3. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Been a long day. I will get back to you with photos of the storage and plumbing. Most likely will be Saturday night.

I heat the last two 30 gal cans and aerate all. Because there is nothing but water in the water I have never had anything grow in the storage cans (5 years now). I do it because we are on well water. I like complete control over the water. The flow is as follows :

1. Well to a whole house filter.

2. House filter to a softener.

3. Softener to a split. One side to the house the other to another filter.

4. That filter to a 75 GPD 5 stage RO/DI system. I will be bumping it up to a 150 GPD with a pressure pump and auto flush. The 150 upgrade is said to cut the wast water way down. But yes the 75 GPD system runs close to 10 gallons waste to 1 gallon RO/DI

5. Then to the 90 gallon storage. I will be running hard lines to the first floor. I have the proper pump, I just need to find the time to do it.

I will do a complete work up for you on the parts, tools and methods. For now this is the three upside down after the plumbing was done. The cans have a float shot off so I leave the system on all the time but there are twin shutoff valves for when I do maintenance. I am just now at the point that I need to change the membrane and filters. I was talking to the good people at BRS Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Supplies and they were impressed that it went five years with out needing replacing. He said generally they last 3 years (the filters and membrane). And that is with very bad well water. I take maintenance very seriously.

EDIT: @bitseriously I added more info.
    _MG_7921.0.jpg

4. OP
    OP
    bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

Thanks @Thunder_o_b ! I appreciate the time you put into the reply above. It sounds like you have a pretty complicated system, so to be clear, I’m totally not looking for a complete rundown, especially if that’s going to take a lot of time. :)
    If this ever gets off the ground for me, it likely won’t exceed 40 gallons or so. How would you simplify your set up if you were on municipal tapwater?
    And I have to know, why upside down? :)

5. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Upside down to show the plumbing before the final install.

I would do it the same way. But if the softener is not needed then you could just go with 1 pre filter and the system.

I have been meaning to do a full work up on my system.

6. Hunterhusker

Hunterhusker Member Member

Haha I'm a noob and I have heard of the water issues but I can't get a setup for it. I just have 5 gallon buckets that I fill and treat and set out for three days before a change. I probably should get barrels and an rodi system if I ever get to make my fish room.

7. edevingo

edevingo Member Member

Must be fate that I read this question, We are about to restart construction on our house (fix major issues with a contractor who forgot structural beams in our living room) Anyways I'm working with an architect and as I'm planning where my new built in tank will be ect. I thought wouldn't it be great to have a separate system for the aquarium. Since we will be digging ect. For an addition, it's not like I'd be plumbing just for a tank. Everyone thinks I'm oot of my mind but now I guess your question lets me know that I'm not the only one. Definetly need to follow this.