Please Recommend A Light For My 20 Gallon

1. Lonnie

Lonnie Valued Member Member

Hi Folks,

Six weeks ago I ordered a high intensity light system from my local pet store. Today I found out they forgot to order it. I am tired of waiting. Can someone please recommend a light system for me. The aquarium measures 24x17x12. It is a 20 gallon. Would like to have a neat light system without spending too much money. All I have now is the hood that came with the aquarium. Would like to grow Cardinalis Telenthera plants and other neat plants. I like the blue lights too. The light space section on the current hood measures 23x4 1/2.

Thank you very much,

Lonnie

2. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Please give a dollar amount you are willing to spend.

We use several different lights depending on the plants and the depth of the aquarium they are going on.

The Fluval Aquasky Aquasky® LED | A3997 | Lighting | Fluval is a good mid level light. We have them on the 37 guppy aquarium (with another bright white that is on for just part of the day) and a 55 gallon.

The Current Satellite plus pro https://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/satellite-led-fixtures/satellite-led-pro/is a much better light but is twice the price. We have this on the 150 tall along with twin florescent bulbs. for the plant you listed you will need this one. Also remember to feed the plants. Red plants also need iron along with bright light.

We also have HO LEDs from MarineLand. But as they are no longer made there is no point in going into them.

3. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

Finnex Stingray's pretty good too. (medium light intensity/output)

4. OP
    OP
    Lonnie

Maybe between $60.00 to $100.00. It is a 2o gallon aquarium.

5. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

The current is out then.

6. OP
    OP
    Lonnie

Hi Thunder, fortunately LED lights are coming down in price. I was able to find a dealer on eBay with a Finnex 24/7 cc for $99.00. I also checked out the lights that you recommended. They are also good lights.

7. OP
    OP
    Lonnie

I appreciate your recommendation for the Finnex Stingray. It has some tremendous ratings. Decided to get the Finnex 24/77 CC within a few days.