Please read this before helping out someone with a sick fish

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay, I am not Mike or a moderator, but I’ve been seeing this so much lately that I need to say something about it.

Please do not pinpoint the underlying problem as there is 0 nitrates.

I am seeing constantly when someone lists their parameters and they have 0 nitrates, people immediately say “well it looks to me that your tank isn’t cycled!”
Unless the person had posted other info that suggests that the tank isn’t cycled (ammonia or nitrites above 0, tank has been set up for 1 day, etc) it is not your place to say the tank isn’t cycled if you’re going completely off of how many nitrates there are. There are various reasons for having no nitrates. Heavily planted tanks will do it, very lightly stocked or low bioload fish, and frequent water changes are all very common things that will keep nitrates from building up to traceable amounts.

If a person is asking for help with a sick fish, it is very stressful to tell them their tank isn’t cycled. If they listed their ammonia and nitrites as 0, there’s no reason to suggest that the cycle is causing their fish to be sick.

I just had to get that off my chest, sorry for the rant.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I try not to answer sick fish questions because I don't know a whole lot about it. I know some about Ich but thats it.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Agreed. I have seen numerous posts like that and honestly, it really annoys me. If ammonia and nitrite are constantly zero its not really an issue anyway.

Often I almost get the feeling that these people just see that and use it as an excuse to why someone's fish is sick, but then you notice other symptoms and that there are zero ammonia and nitrites(well, according to the test kit which can be faulty). Can uncycled tanks be a problem? Yeah but again if there are 0 ammonia and nitrites there is probably another issue/issues, also what I personally find annoying is I see these posts over and over again even after they have been told why a tank can possibly have 0 nitrates while still being cycled and they seem to think that a cycled tank HAS to have detectable nitrates. Sorry but telling someone who(often to me seems likely) has a cycled tank that their tank 100% is not cycled isn't helping their fish much :/.

Sorry if this post is unnecessarily long/unnecessary or seems rude, I do not mean to come off that way. I am also not a person who always gives correct information, just wanted to give my opinion. I hope no one is offended by this and I hope no one gets really mad at me.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree. When it comes to sickness, I steer clear. Sometimes I just watch those threads to see how things are.

I myself, am no expert, and don't always give correct information, and am often corrected by more experienced fish keepers.

AvalancheDave

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not to mention that an uncycled tank can have nitrates from tap water...

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The cycle isn’t black and white, cut n dry. It’s different for everyone depending on their circumstances. Bothers me too.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
UnknownUser said:
The cycle isn’t black and white, cut n dry. It’s different for everyone depending on their circumstances. Bothers me too.
True, if there was a "one fits all" kinda thing that would make everything more confusing to me actually.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom