Please please help-Angelfish sick-unclear what medications?

Discussion in 'Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Retha, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Retha

Retha Valued Member Member

I hope this is in the appropriate area-didn't know .
    I have a 60 gallon tall angelfish tank with five angelfish-1 is the size of a softball and the other 4 are the size of 50 cent pieces. Also it has 4 little Corys and 3 bristle nose plecos about 1 inch long each. My water perimeters are nitrAtes-10, nitrItes-0, ammonia-0, ph-constant 8.0, KH-180 and GH-between 150-300. I do a 50% W/C once a week. It is a highly planted tank. The filter is an emperor 400 for up to 100 gallons.
    A couple of weeks ago one of the small ones started to have a some flaring of its gills and breathing rapidly and just sitting on the bottom in a corner. I treated the tank with API Melafix for seven days and it seems a little better-but still breathes rapidly with flared gills-but does eat fine and is active. Now I have 2 others of the small ones doing the same thing-breathing rapidly, not eating and sitting on the bottom in a corner even though I treated the tank-I thought maybe a bacterial infection. No signs of any external parasites that I can see. The Corys and plecos are fine. I don't know what to do-I want to treat with the right medication rather than over medicate -trying this, that and the other thing!! Is it flukes-angelfish virus-bacterial??? I don't want to lose my little guys!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks-
    Retha

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Can you attach a pic?

Do you have a separate QT tank?

3. OP
    OP
    Retha

[​IMG]

The picture isn't the best they were all skid dish of the camera.

Unfortunately no-I only have a 75 gallon tropical community tank besides this one.

[​IMG]

Another picture

[​IMG]

Another picture

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2016
  4. TexasDomer

I wonder if the bigger angel is stressing the little ones out or bullying them, since it's only the little ones affected.

5. OP
    OP
    Retha

No the big one is very docile-he was a donation fish that was in a ten gallon tank completely by himself and hardly had room to swim-I think he enjoys their company-at first a couple of the little ones were picking on him-but now, even at feeding time they all get along very well-no bullying. Hopefully it will stay that way.

6. TexasDomer

While you may not see overt bullying when you look at the tank, it doesn't mean it isn't occurring. Just because he lived in a tiny tank alone doesn't mean he can't be a bully. Just throwing that out as a possible cause. They are cichlids, after all, and there is a size difference between them.

7. OP
    OP
    Retha

So if that was to be the case-and put the sick little ones somewhere else to relieve stress-I still don't know how to medicate -or once they were not stressed would they just get better naturally?

8. TexasDomer

They might!

9. AquariumQuirks

AquariumQuirks Valued Member Member

I would get a storage tote from Walmart or target and set that up as a basic hospital tank. Then I would take the big one out and then watch the little guys closely and see if their condition improves. If they don't look better within a day or two then I would take them all and put them in the tote and treat with broad spectrum antibiotics. (do this in the quarantine tote so you don't trash your bio-filter in the main tank.
    It's probably just stress from the big fish, so until you know for sure I wouldn't stress to much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice