Please no one will help, my goldfish are scaring me please respond please... Help

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by beanie310, Apr 7, 2010.

1. beanie310New MemberMember

Please I really need help. I've posted on a ton of sites and no one has answered me! My boyfriend gave me three fish for our two year anniversary on Jan 17th this year. One Calico-veil tail I think (she died on the way home) ine black moor, and one common goldish. The black moor (Wallie) died a month later I think because of an internal parasite because he was stressed out. I feel really stupid about it now because I hadn't done any reserch but they were both SO small (the moor and the common) that I had them in a 1 1/2 gallon tank... I know! Well I got a tank as soon as Wallie died and its 24 gallons BIG difference! So Doug (my common goldfish was very happy for a couple weeks. I bought a new fish, a koi- her name is Lilly. Doug fought her for a while but I took them both out of the tank and rearranged everything, put her in first then Doug. They fought a little more- she fought back but no damage ever occured to either then they got over it. They both just got over Ich I think. A week and a half ago I noticed ich and began treatment with Rid Ick immediately. I just stopped using that two nights ago because they looked fine. Now though Doug has black spots all over one side of his body. Last night there were one three now theres at least a dozen tonight. I'm scared I love my fish and I want to help. I cleaned the tank I've tested the water, its not amonia burns, everything water wise is fine. I feel so helpless. I need to safe him. him and my koi won't eat I have NO idea why they're both pigs! Doug also has some scales (I think they're scales) that are sticking up on one side of his head. They're not acting lethargic, but they're both gasping at the surface. I'm so worried. PLEASE I know that I've written a lot but please please respond.:;thx

2. cm11599ps

cm11599psWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to the forum and I'm sorry you havne't had any help yet.

Hate to be the bringer of bad news, but a koi is not good in that size tank. Goldfish are messy and require much more tank space then other fish of the same size. If you care for Lilly then she deserves to be in a pond.

What are your water readings? You said you tested them.

3. Furallicah

FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

One goldfish need lots of oxygen in the water do you have an air pump and air stone? For a 24gal A bubble wall about 14inches long would be good with an air pump large enough for your tank. I'm not sure about the spots can you post a picture of them? It would help other members. And just to be safe mind posting your parameters of your tank (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate) It will help rule out other things. Whats the tempature of the water? Goldfish are cold water likers anything between 60-74 degress is best for them. As for the scales...he could of brushed up against something and hurt himself. What decor is in the tank? Welcome to Fishlore...I hope we can help you through this. What kind of filter do you have on your tank btw?

*I was ninjied...and so was Meenu...Lol we attacked from the darkness!*

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  4. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

welcome to fl. I am sorry you are so stressed out. can you please post your readings for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates if you know them?

I'll write more in a minute. don't worry, this is a very active community and people will help you.

edit: double-ninja'ed. how'd that happen? :;sh

5. cm11599ps

That's a good sign. IT means we have an active, caring community as opposed to the other sites the OP went to first.

6. OP
    OP
    b

beanie310New MemberMember

the amonia and nitrate are both exactly where they should be, and I have no way to test for nitrite.
    I have a whisper filter its pretty small.
    I do have a bubble wall but it keeps getting clogged and I can't fix it so only one hole works

I'll be able to post pics soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2010
  7. Furallicah

What kind of tetra whisper filter...Goldfish need a filtration system capable of cycling the water 10 times an hour better the flow rate of the water. Do you know the gallons per hour of the filter? What kind of filter material does it use?

8. cm11599ps

Can I ask what "exactly where they should be" means? What are the readings? Looks like you may have an underpowered filter too.

9. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Beanie, the reason we are asking about the readings so adamantly is that most problems in a new tank are caused by an uncycled tank. As you can see from your moor, it stresses fish out, causes disease, and can kill them.

If you are using test strips, I would urge you to get a good quality liquid test kit. Most members here use the API master test kit.

The reason that filtration is so important is because goldies produce an enormous amount of waste, which has to be filtered out of the tank so you don't end up with ammonia problems.

10. ppate1977

ppate1977Well Known MemberMember

As everyone said, we need water parms to try to help, otherwise we are just guessing. I'm positive you can and will be helped here, but more information is needed. Hope all turns out well. Welcome to FL. (And yeah, the koi will get waaaay to big).

11. Furallicah

12. Betta Whisperer

Betta WhispererWell Known MemberMember

Everyone is right. I just want to add that goldfish and Kio should not be in tanks. They are both fish that get very big. Kio can grow to 3' long and your common goldfish can grow to be 12" long. Start digging a pond or find someone who has one were you can take them.

13. gremlin

gremlinWell Known MemberMember

Ich, black spots, gasping at the surface of the water, and not eating are all possible signs of poor water quality. You say the ammonia and nitrate are where they should be. So that means they read at 0 right? That is where they should be. I prefer Ich Attack to treat for ich with goldies, but if the Rid Ich works, then that's fine. The black spots could be where your fish is healing. Think of it as a scab - when a goldfish gets ammonia burns, and they start to heal, sometimes the scales turn black. Gasping at the surface of the water means either there is not enough oxygen in the water, or there is too much ammonia in the water. Not eating and being lethargic are also signs of poor water quality - usually too much ammonia. Your 24 gallon tank is too small for your goldfish and way too small for your koi. Having both in that size, not good. Koi really should be in a large pond - 1000 gallons or more - since they grow to be 2-3 feet long. I would suggest taking the koi back to the store, or find someone that has a large pond. Your goldfish can do okay in the 24 gallon for a couple of months as long as you have a filter on the tank that is rated for a 55 gallon or larger. Otherwise, the ammonia will build up way to fast and continue to make you goldie sick. Since your goldie is a common/comet goldfish, it should really be in at least a 55 gallon tank. It will need the room to swim around.

Please list the test kit you are using, what the actual readings are, what and how often you are feeding, and the type and size of your filter (in the tank, hang on back, sponge filter, etc). This information will help us to help you.

And yes, pictures are always helpful.

14. Shine

ShineWell Known MemberMember

I can't say for sure without seeing a picture but blackened spots, or specks on the scales are usually a sign of healing ammonia burns. Important word there is 'healing'. You haven't posted your tank readings; but even if they are perfect now, Doug could just be healing from burns he got when he was in the 1 1/2 g bowl.

I've gotten several goldies from walmart that showed black patches and specks on their scales about 4-6 days after I got them. So hopefully this is the case for Doug's spots as well... if it is they will go away as they heal.

oops! another ninja! (lol--oh well, your answer was more comprehensive then mine anyway!) :D

15. OP
    OP
    b

beanie310New MemberMember

When I get home from school I can tell you exactly what test kit I use and post pics. But I do use a liquid kit to test and yes the tests are both at 0.
    Both of my fish are less than 3 inches, does that make it ok? I'm new at this, and I feel so overwhelmed. I don't know a lot about what you're telling me. When I get home I'll try to answer everything.

16. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

It's easy to feel overwhelmed. Pretty much everyone on this forum felt that way starting out - most of us learned all this the hard way too. *hug*

Do you have live plants in your tank? If you don't, then your tank is not cycled. A cycled tank with no live plants should have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5-20 nitrates.

The cycle is important because any amount of ammonia or nitrites is dangerous for fish, and can be lethal. Your fish waste, leftover food, etc. produce ammonia. A good bacteria breaks the ammonia down into nitrites, and then another beneficial bacteria breaks the nitrites down into nitrates. When your tank completes the nitrogen cycle, it means that you have enough beneficial bacteria to process all the toxins into less-harmful nitrates. Weekly water changes keep the nitrates under control.

I hope my explanation of the nitrogen cycle helps a little. It took me a long time to understand it.

17. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Beanie and Welcome to Fish Lore!

Hang in there! It will get easier! Great information above.

Ken

18. LyndaB

LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

:;hi2 Welcome!

Sorry your fish are sick. Hope everything works out. You've received excellent advice above from some very knowledgeable fishkeepers.

19. TedsTank

TedsTankWell Known MemberMember

I am sorry but unless you have a monster tank, a Koi has no business being in an aquarium as a pet. Only if it is a short term grow out tank.

I will be posting some pics soon of my Koi...monsters.

20. Shine

ShineWell Known MemberMember

I have a couple goldfish (2 inches) in a 20 G... so if it wasn't for the koi I would say you are 'okay' for now. Even saying that I know even 1 goldfish should have 20, so my two really need 30 minimum. As Doug grows he will need an upgrade. But as Ted says koi get HUGE.... and shouldn't be kept in aquariums at all.

Its a learning process; you'll pull through. Just keep reading and asking questions, and it'll all start coming together :cool:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice