Please Need Help Asap

1. lexieboo

lexieboo New Member Member

I have 2 baby fish in a tank that is still cycling I’m trying to get their ph levels to match my tank that is already cycled at 7.2ph. My baby fish started out at ph 6.0 today so I got my gravel cleaner out and got the waste out and ended up taking out most of my water so I filled my water back up and put stress coat and quick start in the tank and I also added ph increase and it brought the ph up to 7.6. I don’t want my fish going into ph shock and I have no clue what to do to fix this. Please help! how much can you change the ph and how often can you without the fish going into ph shock?

2. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

It's truly better not to mess with the pH using additives like that. Don't do anything at this point, the pH up only works for a few hours and it will crash back down. Leave it be for now, or, I guess you could do another 50% change in a few more hours. To raise the pH in a more stable way, use cuttlebone in the filter (can be found in bird sections, be sure to rinse it first) or seashells (can be found as decoration in the fish section. Be sure it's been sterilized). Personally I use seashells, it takes a few days for it to start to work, but then it's pretty stable and lasts several months. It's okay, you can get through this.

3. OP
    OP
    lexieboo

Can I put the 2 baby fish in with my tank that’s already cycled then with that tank having a ph of 7.2? Was it safe to raise my baby tank from 6.0ph to 7.6ph in a day? How much should you change it in a day? I’ve never had such a problem with my tanks ph levels so I’m new at this part. Thank you for your help

4. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Yes, you could move them if you acclimate them. It's probably not safe to raise it more than 0.2-0.4, anything higher can seriously stress them. If they're acting fine now, I'd move them since the pH up doesn't last long and it'll crash the tank. As long as you acclimate it will be fine.

5. OP
    OP
    lexieboo

Ok thank you