Please Id This Shrimp!

1. PraptiPanda

PraptiPanda Valued Member Member

I got two of these guys from an lfs IMG_20170716_185727.JPG who labeled them as ghost shrimp, but I'm not sure,especially after seeing three spots on their tails. These are to go in my guppy fry tank, and I don't want any mishaps because of mistaken identities. Sorry about the picture quality. So what are they? Ghosts? Amanos? Something else?

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Hard to tell from that picture but if I had to guess I'd say it is an amano shrimp.

3. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

ghost or amano. Could you get a clear picture please?

4. m

mollybabes Well Known Member Member

Amano I think. It's either that of ghost

5. Piaelliott

Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

How much did you pay? That might solve the question if Amano or ghost :) It looks like an Amano but the pic is not clear enough.

6. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I think that's an amano shrimp

7. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Three dots on the tail is an amano characteristic

8. OP
    OP
    PraptiPanda

These were the cheapest ones there. Almost half the cost of RCS.

I saw lots of little shrimp in their tank as well - I thought Amanos only bred in brackish water?

9. Piaelliott

I don't know anything about prices in India, here Amano shrimp are about $5 whereas a ghost shrimp is about 30 cents.

That's right. Amano shrimp are freshwater but the larvae needs brackish water. Once they become little shrimp,they you back to freshwater :)

10. OP
    OP
    PraptiPanda

Well, that's why I am worried. I never would have expected Amanos to be so cheap. But, I wanted shrimp that I could breed :( . I'll be getting RCS later on. Are Amanos safe for a fry tank? They are about the size of my biggest 2 months old guppies.

11. Vaidas

Vaidas New Member Member

I think it's Amano Shrimp. Do have myself 5 of them. Just been changing they shell skin turning blue ish.

12. Polyrhythm

Polyrhythm Valued Member Member

How do they look when they're still? Ghost shrimp have a noticeable bend in their backs while amano don't. Ghosts are also nearly transparent while amanos have a grey/beige color. The store might've had a few amano mixed in and mistaken for the ghost shrimp.

Amanos are fine around fry though. They're pretty big but still peaceful.

13. Piaelliott

Yes, they are safe. They are awesome, hope you like them anyway. You can breed them, it is complicated but some people do it.

14. OP
    OP
    PraptiPanda

I got a clearer picture. Are you sure this is Amano? IMG_20170717_143403.JPG

15. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Oh yes, definitely Amano! He is quite the guy!

16. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Huh, really unusual markings for an amano though...

17. OP
    OP
    PraptiPanda

I know! That's why I was confused as to what it was. In Most pictures,the amanos look quite transparent or have only dots on their bodies.

18. S

Sina-key Well Known Member Member

I don't think its an amano shrimp this is a some sort of wild type RCS i have these guys with chocolate color of RCS in my tank

19. Piaelliott

The markings are different. But I looked at wild type red cherry shrimp and they have a different coloring as well. He might be too big for a cherry too. Confusing.

Actually, I don't know how big he is :) Looked pretty big in the bag.