Please Help!

faithapaul1

Valued Member
Reaction score
I’ve been dealing with this ominous illness in my tank for what feels like forever now. It’s taken two of my platys as well as a sword tail.

What happens is this:
The fish start hiding for a week or so, then they come out, all frisky, but look awful and so so thin.
They get interested in eating and seem to be feeling better, however, still so thin, and then a few days later I will find them dead.

It’s very discouraging.

My black Molly has been having issues with (what I believe to be fungus) on and off for a few months as well. I noticed a white patch on her yesterday morning and by the end of the day it had spread all over her body. She seems to be getting remarkably thin at a very fast rate as well. She is still swimming and very interested in eating. She just looks raggedy. I haven’t really noticed her hiding in the past few weeks, maybe once or twice, but nothing too serious like I saw with the other guys. In the past my Molly has always come back from this with little to no medication required, just water changes. However, this time the disease seems to be particularly bad.

I treated my 46 gallon tank with 10 ml of api fungus (I think that’s the brand). I didn’t want to overwhelm the system but thought it be best to treat the entire tank. I didn’t follow the directions (5ml per 5gallons of water) because the green color it turns the tank always makes me worried I’m doing something wrong . . .

My tank has been GREAT for the past month. Awesome parameters, nitrates at 40, a little bit high, but not too bad. The tank used to be kept at 84f now it’s been lowered (gradually) to 81f.

Haven’t been able to take parameters and will not get to until tomorrow night unfortunately.

Tank is stocked with:
5 mollies
6 kuhlis
3 platys
2 algae eaters
1 sword tail
1 ghost shrimp
1 mosquito fish

Aside from recent shimmying from a couple mollies, and a platy swimming slightly off kilter from time to time (any idea how to help that?) everyone else seems to be doing great.

There’s also a bubbler and five plants in the tank. It’s an established tank that’s been running since December.

Should I change the media in the filter? I’ve only replaced one cartridge since setting the tank up. It looks clear and I’m so afraid to mess up the cycling that I’ve been putting it off.

Thank you. Any advice is helpful and greatly appreciated.

I’ll post parameters tomorrow night!

Wobbegong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That temp is a still a bit too high for most of your livebearers, 78 is better. For me the on of the best ways to treat illnesses is do to very frequent water changes. Every day is the best but every few days will also work well. The fishes won't be as stressed from nitrate and their immune systems will be better at fighting off infections.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'll be interested to see what your actual water readings are. Here are some thoughts.

You said your tank is doing "great." Actually, you've had fish deaths, fungus, shimmying, and one of your fish sounds like it has swim bladder problems. Your tank is actually crashing. I'll be surprised if the water readings come out looking that good.

If you decide to treat a tank, I'd recommend following the manufacturer's instructions carefully.

What is your water change routine?

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I concur. But perhaps consider using chemicals of any kind as a very last resort, and especially not until you're 100% sure whether it's a disease/infection etc. Water changes can help isolate and identify for certain, but if you do in fact have 1 or more symptoms, then 9 out of 10 times it IS a water issue/concern--thus water changes, and then when if and when it persists. THEN the tank should require medical/chemical treatment. Could even be a bacterial issue...it sounds like it...and water quality is EVERYTHING, even with hardier fish like livebearers. Honestly...don't think her tank is "crashing" at all. Just her water needs to be tweaked to initiate it's ideal parameters and stability and also to accurately identify what's causing this.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with a lot of what you said, but disagree on a couple items. I agree that you shouldn't put any additives in the tank until you have a decent guess, but you can never be 100% sure of anything with fish. I'm being nitpicky I know. I'd just go with a more-likely-than-not standard. Sometimes people just start dumping in chemicals with no clue what's going on, which is a mistake, but usually diagnosing fish is trying to connect the dots, and it's not always that clear.

I guess we have different definitions of what a "crash" is. I agree with you that the vast majority of tank problems occur because water is not kept up through partial water changes, but if you have fish shimmying, swimming crooked, dying, and with fungus, it's more than a "tweak" that's necessary.

I also am against using additives to start the cycle. Every time someone has a problem with cycling, they're using additives. I've cycled all my tanks with fish in, 25% water changes every other day, and the cycles always were completed in five or six weeks with no bad effects on the fish.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Indeed, I do as well my friend. yeah all of those ailments are bad and in abundance, and hopefully everything bad will start to rescind away with the proper treatments, because it really sucks having to deal with any type of fish health problems...we've all been there too! : (

faithapaul1

Valued Member
Reaction score
I concur. But perhaps consider using chemicals of any kind as a very last resort, and especially not until you're 100% sure whether it's a disease/infection etc. Water changes can help isolate and identify for certain, but if you do in fact have 1 or more symptoms, then 9 out of 10 times it IS a water issue/concern--thus water changes, and then when if and when it persists. THEN the tank should require medical/chemical treatment. Could even be a bacterial issue...it sounds like it...and water quality is EVERYTHING, even with hardier fish like livebearers. Honestly...don't think her tank is "crashing" at all. Just her water needs to be tweaked to initiate it's ideal parameters and stability and also to accurately identify what's causing this.
Just took my stats. Even went outside to get proper lighting! It’s so confusing! What’s going on? The only test that isn’t accurately shown by the lighting is the nitrate. It looks like 30ish.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but disagree on a couple items. I agree that you shouldn't put any additives in the tank until you have a decent guess, but you can never be 100% sure of anything with fish. I'm being nitpicky I know. I'd just go with a more-likely-than-not standard. Sometimes people just start dumping in chemicals with no clue what's going on, which is a mistake, but usually diagnosing fish is trying to connect the dots, and it's not always that clear.

I guess we have different definitions of what a "crash" is. I agree with you that the vast majority of tank problems occur because water is not kept up through partial water changes, but if you have fish shimmying, swimming crooked, dying, and with fungus, it's more than a "tweak" that's necessary.

I also am against using additives to start the cycle. Every time someone has a problem with cycling, they're using additives. I've cycled all my tanks with fish in, 25% water changes every other day, and the cycles always were completed in five or six weeks with no bad effects on the fish.
Just commented on one of the other posts in this with pictures of my stats.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom